It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: act questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:30 pm 

I use two 55gal. drums to brew(ACT).I use two burlap sacks for my compost,brew fow six to eight hrs. then remove them and brew for another sixteen to twenty hrs. So here are my questions.
(1)what is the solution mix when cleaning with bleach
(2)is black kow brand ( manure )compost a good compost to use?
or should i use other types of compost with it
(3)since my sprayer kept clogging i drilled the tips out to 1/8 in. so i'm really
not spraying ,its more like rain drops ,not a solid coverage.(25 acres of costal) is this doing any good or a waste of time?
(4)I read somewhere that adding liquid molasses and liquid seaweed to
water and spraying that will help the grass,any thoughts on that?
I'm trying to stay away from syntheic fertilizers, so thanks for any help on these questions. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:53 pm 

Wow! Many questions, but I hope you do not mind my input on one in particular: the use of bleach. This is unnecessary at best. Bleach is something I do not use at all, not even for laundry. It is highly toxic and there are better alternatives. If you need to disinfect, use hydrogen peroxide. It is available in several grades/ strengths. Usually the 3% found in the grocery and drug stores will work for most situations. Combining stronger (10% - 35%) hydrogen peroxide with water dilutes it, making it safer to use. DO BE CAREFUL with even the 10% because it is strong. As in handling bleach, you DO NOT want to breathe it, get it in your eyes or on your skin! Although it is more expensive initially, it is less pricey in the end. Just please be careful, as it will burn. These links may be of help:
http://www.p2pays.org/ref/09/08703.htm
http://www.animallab.com/articles.asp?pid=131
http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/h ... oxide.html
http://www.h2o2.com/intro/faq.html#13

This should address any issues or questions you may have regarding the use of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)! :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:14 pm 

Black Kow is good.

Post subject: Re: act questions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:18 am 

[quote][/quote]I read somewhere that adding liquid molasses and liquid seaweed to water and spraying that will help the grass,any thoughts on that?
I'm trying to stay away from syntheic fertilizers, so thanks for any help on these questions. :?:

Liquid molasses and liquid seaweed are great--many are using diluted sea water as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:11 am 

Keep in mind that any form of compost tea recipes (aerated or not) is going to generate a lot of controversial questions and responses. Tea brewing both an art and a science. Everybody's tea brew is going to be different.

The main thing to keep in mind about ACT is that you are trying to grow the same aerobic bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes, etc. in normal mature compost inside an aerated liquid for a few days before in returns to your organic lawn, garden, or living on organically grown plants.

This requires organic soil biology, chemistry, and physics. This is all accompished by the aerobic soil microbes and earthworms living in organic soil. ACT can be used to start the aerobic microherd in the soil, or speed up the aerobic microherd in the soil, or create an aerobic microherd force field around your organically grown plants during growing season.

I like to experiment with different organic source of proteins (nitrogen sources) and carbohydrates (carbon sources) in my ACT brew, in order to breed different styles of aerobic microbes and supply various levels of nurients in the tea, that will later benefit the soil organisms in my soil.

The main ingredients in any ACT recipe is mature compost, non-chlorinated water, and a sugar source (i.e. molasses or dry molasses usually).

Never use a brewing container that is too big for your aerating pump device. It will stink big time! If it smells bad it's not 100% aerobic any more. Remember ACT is different from just plain stinky non-aerated teas that are usually just used as a natural fertilizer or weak diluted soil drench.

Using 5-20 gallon buckets or tubs for ACT brews are large enough for most small farms. During spring and summer months I can make ACT every 3-5 days, without ever turning my aerating pump off, just by using my homemade 15 gallon tub ACT brewer.

I use my diluted ACT not only as a powerful soil biostimulant and pest management control, but also as a weak irrigation substitute during the hottest months. I have used ACT for everything from my lawn, garden, and onamental for 1-2 acres of plants at one time. It's a lot of work but it's fun!

ACT bewing is fun and should always be creative.
Try your own experiments with tea brewing.
Keep those beneficial aerobic soil microbes and earthworms happy!

Hope this helps!
Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton