It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Homemade potting soil
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:16 am 

Just got my new Mother Earth News and there was an article about making potting soil. You can read it at http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic- ... -Soil.aspx

One of the things she recommends to lighten the mix is to add a handful of sand per quart. I have quit adding sand because it seems to make a sort-of concrete out of the mix after numerous waterings, etc.

Several years ago I stopped using homemade compost when starting seeds because of damping off. So I've been "sinning" by using a peat-based mix (but only for starting seeds!). The author of this article advises to pasteurize homemade potting soil by heating to 160 degrees. Will this leave any beneficial life in the soil?

I wonder if any of you compost experts might read this article and comment. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:01 pm 

There is good information in both the Mother Earth News and ATTRA publication, with some exceptions - heating the soil in the oven, adding sand, etc. Check out the formula that I have recently been recommending. It's made of compost, coconut fiber, expanded shale and a little lava sand and greensand. There are several good peat moss-less soils - Soil Mender, Ladybug, Erath Earth and others. All have their pluses and minuses.