It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: swimming pool chemicals
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:40 pm 

I know the pool companies have products that are non-chlorine based. Does anyone have ideas on non-chlorine products I might consider, such as Baquacil or others. I'm a new pool owner and have a daughter that is somewhat allergic to chlorine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:39 pm 

My husband cleans and maintains pools on the weekends and has a lot of customers that are switching to Baquacil. My neighbor uses Bacquacil. It cost a little more to get started but in the long run its easier to maintain and is not hard on your skin and pool parts as chlorine. The water balancers are the same as a chlorine pool but the sanitizers, algicides and shock are non chlorine. If you can afford the start up cost it would be the way to go. Buy some test strips and check your water weekly, stay on top of things. We have seen so many green pools this spring because people let them go and then dont want to pay someone to clean up the mess. We have turned down several jobs because it just wasnt worth the money and labor to get them clean, we're talking cant find the bottom with lots and lots of frogs. Dont mean to preach, but a little work each week can save you lots of money and headache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:03 pm 

I HAVE USED BAQUACIL FOR ABOUT 12 YEARS IN MY ABOVE GROUND POOL. THE ONLY PROBLEM I EVER HAD WAS WHEN I CHANGED POOL SUPPLY COMPANIES FOR CONVENIENCE. THE NEW COMPANY SAID THAT I NEEDED TO ADD CALCIUM TO THE WATER. THE CALCIEM REACTED WITH THE BAQUICIL AND TURNED THE SAND IN MY SAND FILTER TO CONCRETE. I HAD TO REPLACE THE THE ENTIRE FILTER AT $350.00. i WENT BACK TO MY OLD SUPPLIER AND HAVEN'T HAD ANY MORE PROBLEMS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:55 am 

Brad, thanks for that warning!

We have a pool service that comes out once a week and adjusts the chemicals. I have to clean the filters and skim the pool myself. We just use the same company Chempura Pools that the previous owner used. I'm not sure what kind of chemicals they use? They were pretty vague when my husband asked about it, but they said something to the effect that it wasn't Chorine? but it wasn't Baquacil? I like the guy who comes out to service our pool, he leaves us notes as to if he as done anything we need to know about and if he notices the water level is low etc. but I should probably check to see what a start up and maint. cost would be for Baquacil, or maybe what they use is like Baquacil....just a different brand?