It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:06 pm 

Hi,
I have some questions about the new St. Augustine sod I just installed. Attached are pictures of some brown/dying spots that I’m not sure what to do. These spots make up about 10% of the yard.

Here is some background:
• Tilled the soil about 3” deep, mixed in some landscapers mix and compost.
• I installed the sod on Sep 11th and then it rained for about nine days straight. I continued to water several times a day (but not at night) ensuring the sod stays moist.
• On day 14, I confirmed that the sod has started to root.
• On day 16, the grass was about 3.5” so I decided to mow.
• On day 16, after I mowed, I spread a high nitrogen and iron based fertilizer.
• I’m continuing to water 1-2 daily (but not at night) ensuring that the lawn is moist.

Any recommendations on what to do about the brown/dying spots.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:16 pm 

http://anonymousjoesphotos.shutterfly.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:34 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Hi,
I have some questions about the new St. Augustine sod I just installed. Attached are pictures of some brown/dying spots that I’m not sure what to do. These spots make up about 10% of the yard.

Here is some background:
• Tilled the soil about 3” deep, mixed in some landscapers mix and compost.
• I installed the sod on Sep 11th and then it rained for about nine days straight. I continued to water several times a day (but not at night) ensuring the sod stays moist.
• On day 14, I confirmed that the sod has started to root.
• On day 16, the grass was about 3.5” so I decided to mow.
• On day 16, after I mowed, I spread a high nitrogen and iron based fertilizer.
• I’m continuing to water 1-2 daily (but not at night) ensuring that the lawn is moist.

Any recommendations on what to do about the brown/dying spots.

I think you heated it up too much. I would never use high nitrogen on new plants. Come to think of it, I never use that on anything.

Your compost had nitrogen, the rainwater has it dissolved in it, the landscape mix would have a small amount....slow down a bit on trying to get the instant green.

St Augustine would grow on asphalt shingles just about with this much rain going on.

One question: I saw your pics, and it didn't look like a yellow fungus taking over, it could have been brown patch possibly. A lot of that has been creeping up, and we have been using "Actinovate" for the first time this year on our customer's properties. The fungus calls started coming in about 2-3 weeks ago. Note: Not one customer that was on the full organic program called with this problem in their St. Augustine.

I would mix up a half gallon and spray it on there once a week for three weeks.

Dotdirt Organic Landscapes,
www.dotdirt.com
Garland, TX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:33 pm 

If I laid the sod on Sep 11th and spread fertilizer (high nitrogen and high iron) on Sep 26th, when can I spread some more high nitrogen fertilizer?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm 

We don't deal in high nitrogen fertilizers on this forum. You might look at some other lawn forums where they are not exclusively organic.

You can spread organic fertilizer any day of the year, even if you spread some yesterday.

Another mistake you made was to till the soil. That tilled soil will continue to settle for 3 years. By then you will have what is commonly referred to as bumpy soil. That can be fixed but its a lot easier to not till up front and not have to do all the extra work at each end.