It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:57 am 

Howdy. I'm a new home owner with my very first lawn; luckily, it's St. Augustine that's been well taken care of over the years and lovely (right now). Hope I can keep it that way! I have Mr. Garrett's latest organic gardening book and, while I do find it helpful, I really need some things spelled out for me. I can figure out how to put an elephant into a ballroom, but knowing when my lawn needs watering is proving problematic. :oops:

I live in Oak Cliff which is great for old flora and fauna, but does anyone have any idea how to attract fireflies? I used to see a few of them in Winnetka Heights, but I haven't seen any in my new neighborhood (El Tivoli Place).

I inherited a lot of "little old lady" plantings when I bought my house. One, I think, is a pomegranate (non-fruiting). Anyone with any experience with those? I saw one bloom on it in late spring, which allowed me to identify the plant, but none others have been forthcoming and I'd love to have more.

A recommendation - I've gotten a great deal of advice from the folks at Southland Feed Store. They carry a respectable line of organic fertilizers, etc. and are free with their advice and opinions.

Thanks,
Susan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:29 am 

sjthornton wrote:
Howdy. I'm a new home owner with my very first lawn; luckily, it's St. Augustine that's been well taken care of over the years and lovely (right now). Hope I can keep it that way! I have Mr. Garrett's latest organic gardening book and, while I do find it helpful, I really need some things spelled out for me. I can figure out how to put an elephant into a ballroom, but knowing when my lawn needs watering is proving problematic. :oops:

St. Augustine grass is fairly easy to identify when it is thirsty. It begins to wilt. Watering deeply (@ 1") every 7-10 days should be satisfy the water needs. As you grow (puns always intended) in your organic program, the health of your soil will allow your plants to survive in even more infrequent waterings.

I would suggest that you add Dchall_San_Antonio' Organic Lawn Care FAQ which is located at the top of the Lawn Care Forum to your reading list.

sjthornton wrote:
A recommendation - I've gotten a great deal of advice from the folks at Southland Feed Store. They carry a respectable line of organic fertilizers, etc. and are free with their advice and opinions.

A good recommendation for those located near downtown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:48 pm 
Thank you! My lawn still looks very lush after the huge amount of rain we got a couple weeks ago. I'll take your advice and water when it starts to look wilty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:00 pm 

Susan, Welcome to the BB and congradulations on your new home and landscape.

To aid in keeping your lawn water healthy I'll lend my story from SA Tx. :roll:

Currently we are minus 8" of rain fall thus far. I applied 1/2" of quality compost from Gardenville in the Spring along with an application of organic fertilizer. St. Augustine grass looks great and I water twice a month when I think about it or if I notice some of the blades wilting.

The compost has saved me $$ on water and time. :D