It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Partly Sunny to Shady
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:23 am 

How does St. Augustine grass do in shady areas? We have lots of trees on our place with very little grass. Weeds seem to grow well but would like to start sodding or seeding with St. Augustine because of its looks and feel when walking on it. I don't know anything about the different types of grasses but would like to have a nice yard that is covered with grass instead of dirt. Any suggestions?

Dirt Dobber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:15 pm 

Hi Harry. Don't be shy about putting your location into your bio. It always helps to know where you live in answering questions.

St Aug is about the only grass that has any appreciable shade tolerance. I have it in about 90% shade under three live oak trees in the front. In the back I'm under elm trees so it gets 90% shade only during the summer and 10% shade in the winter. It's all doing well.

We have out trees thinned out about every 3-5 years. You might also consider a ground cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:25 am 

Thanks David,
I up dated the profile also. I live in Greenville, Tx. Have one more question also. Is soding the only or best way to start St. Augustine or can you start from seed also. If you can start from seed then when is the best time to seed and where on earth do you get the seeds? If soding then what size plugs and how far apart do you place them? Is now a good time to do this or is spring better??
Thanks again,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:13 am 

Sodding is the only way to start St Augustine. You will get seed heads forming on the grass in the late spring, but the seeds are not viable.

The "plugs" are about 18 inches by 24 inches. They come as flats and cost about a dollar each. Don't bother cutting them up unless you are really on a budget. Just toss them onto the prepared soil and roll them down with a water filled lawn roller. Don't leave any space between the flats. If you end up with space between some, mix up a batch of 50/50 sand and compost to put between the flats. Otherwise you'll end up with a crosshatch pattern in your lawn.

Now is a great time to sod St Aug. Up until the soil temp gets below 50 degrees is good.