It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brown patch and DE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:00 pm 

In reading another thread on St Augustine and brown patch, I read this post.

Billusa99 wrote:
I had a bad issue w/ brown patch (or so I thought) last fall and did some heavy corn meal over two weeks. It kept spreading.
Then I did some research -- brown patch does not spread irregularly, like mine was. It was chinch bugs! Two good dustings of DE over a week got 'em cold.

I have brown patches that I've been treating with corn meal gluten, to no avail. New ones are cropping up, and not in regular circles. I'm wondering if it's cinch bugs too. My question is, if I dust with DE, will it hurt good bugs too like lady bugs? What all does DE zap?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:34 pm 

In that same thread I gave two methods for checking to see if you in fact have chinch bugs. If they're really there it shouldn't take long to see them.

DE won't harm earth worms, but as for any of the other beneficials I can't say.

~Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:53 pm 

And just to clarify the cornmeal remedy, DO NOT use corn gluten meal for fungus problems. It is a high protein (nitrogen) source that will make the problem WORSE, not better, and can actually be the cause in some cases. :shock:

For brown patch, black spot, powdery mildew, etc. use horticultural cornmeal. Never corn gluten meal. They are both made from corn, but beyond that they are dramatically different products.

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:15 am 

DE works by inflicting the death of a thousand cuts on an insect -- they dessicate and die. If the bugs are crawling through it, they are subject.

It's either that, or your lawn -- your ultimate call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:30 am 

Doh! Thanks, Kathie, for the info on corn gluten meal. My current guess is that I've been worsening, if not causing, the problem, by putting out the wrong thing. :(

I looked in the lawn, with Dave's tip, for Cinch bugs, and didn't see any - just loads of rolly polly bugs. Didn't try the coffee can yet. If I don't find a ton of Cinch bugs that way this weekend, I'll assume it's brown patch made worse by gluten. If that's the case, should I put on corn meal, or just leave it alone for a while??

I appreciate your info!