It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lawn Weeds
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:19 pm 

This is the second growing season of my new lawn and it seems to have what looks to me like a broadleaf grass?? My neighbor tells me it is "chick weed". It grows in clumps around the edges of the yard. I keep pulling it but it seems to grow even faster! Can anyone help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:26 pm 

Chickweed is an annual and will die out soon. Keep cutting it low with the mower, that should be easier than pulling.
This is a broadleaf weed that should be an easy target for the vinegar, orange oil, soap spray. Do this in late winter when the weeds are small and the root cannot produce another plant. Try corn gluten meal twice a year. Consider overseeding with rye to deter most weeds.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:46 am 

Thanks, I already cut my lawn short and I have applied 1 application of corn meal in January. I am looking for a way to treat them so I don't have to spend 2 hours a week pulling them by hand! It seems when you start pulling them out they grow back with twice as many and twice as fast!! Is it to late to use vinegar/orange oil , and if I spot treat the areas will it kill the surrounding grass??? This is going to be hard since this stuff is growing in with the grass?? Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:39 am 

Corn meal and corn gluten meal are two different things. Which one did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:55 pm 

Sorry, corn gluten meal is what I put down in January. I also seeded in the fall with winter rye. I put rye down in my front yard none in the back, most of these weeds seem to be in the front? I don't know if it from the the rye or not? But last year I had just as many and the grass was brand new! Besides I think planting rye only robs the soil of nutrients that my Bermuda needs for the start of growings season, right???? When they laid my grass after the house was built I was told they had laid "Commerial Sod" which I found out to be a royal pain I never saw so many different types of weeds!! After a lot of hard work and a lot of money we are now weed free with the exception of these "Chick Weeds". I have also had 2 soil samples done. One last year and one a few months ago. Both showing I needed Ironiet and organic matter in the soil. Thanks I hope this could be of more help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:41 pm 

You can use the vinegar weed killer spray all year. Keep it off the plants you want to keep! It is non-selective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:11 pm 

Guys, my question that I am posing is if I use a vinegar solution this is going in a lawn these weeds are mixed in with the good grass if I spot treat am I going to kill the good grass??? I would almost have to treat these weeds with a hypodermic needle if its going to kill the good grass!!! Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:44 pm 

yes you will hurt the good grass!