It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:27 pm 

Does anyone know if St. Augustine will choke out bermuda? My St. Augustine suffered some die-back over the winter, and although it's coming back (thanks to Dchall and goo0h!), some bermuda has seized the opportunity to take over some of the bare spots!

I have another area of lawn (forgot what it's called, but the area between the sidewalk and road in front of my house is owned by the city, although I'm responsible for maintaining it) that WAS all bermuda, but it was overrun with weeds and other grasses this year. A guy at North Haven Gardens told me that if I fertilize it a lot (like once a month), that the bermuda will take over again. Is that true? I've also thought I should put in some St. Augustine plugs there instead to match the rest of the lawn, but it gets really hot and dry in that area with all the surrounding concrete - don't know if it will survive.

I would like to say that I really appreciate y'all!! This is such a great resource to us beginning gardeners. I hope that someday I will have enough experience and knowledge to help others with their gardening problems too!

Christy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:21 am 

I'm SURE no expert but I think bermuda will take over St Aug. Unless there's too much shade. Our lawn is a mixture of both. The 'parking area' or whatever that part b/w yard & street is called is bermuda at our house. Last year (after spreading corn meal for a pre-emergent) we had the most beautiful weeds there. Then they died around mid June & bermuda sprang up better than ever! This year our St Aug looks mostly dead-thought it was just slow to come back but this is waaaaay too slow! Bermuda is taking over as is some other grass-looking thing. My advice is: water deeply about once a week, mow more often if possible.
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:11 pm 

IF AND ONLY IF you water regularly and mow high, St Augustine will take over nearly all grassy turf. If you let it go completely dry to the point where the St Aug dies, it will not come back except by runners. So if you don't plan to water an area, bermuda (or mulch) is your first choice.

If you fertilize, mow very short, and water it, the bermuda will come back along with other plants. Once you get it growing, taking great care of it may just allow the bermuda to really choke out the other weeds. If you have dandelions or other tap rooted weeds, you should look into getting a Weed Hound tool. People on other gardening forums swear by that tool. You can pluck out dandelions as fast as you can step on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:01 pm 

I agree with the above except that if you do not plan to water, you need to use Buffalo Grass. You will need to water to establish it (as you would any other grass). If you water, the St. Augustine will choke out most everything eventually (full sun).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:22 am 

Thanks all! I think I'll try to keep my St. Augustine - it's spreading pretty quickly. We'll see about the bermuda - maybe I'll try something else if the weeds don't go away. I appreciate the advice!