It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fill for a new lawn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:54 am 

We are in the process of filling in a large area to level it off and putting in a new lawn. Some of the areas needing fill are 3' to 4' deep. The local company recommended using crushed concrete for the fill. How will this affect putting in a new lawn? How much soil should we put on top and what should the composition be? We will be using very little existing soil.

Post subject: Re: Fill for a new lawn
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 pm 

You don't say where you live. It might make a difference.

I would get several professional opinions on how to fill the holes. It could be the one you talked to happens to have a concrete recycling business. I would think soil would be the best.

On a forum for professional turf managers there is a discussion about the ideal soil. The OP for that thread mentioned a bed where the top 7 inches was a mix of loam and compost with the very top inch being pure compost. He said the grass was always covered with dew in the mornings. For several reasons I'm not going to get into at this late hour, I believe that might be the ideal soil mix.

So to answer your question, I would lean toward soil rather than concrete.

Post subject: Re: Fill for a new lawn
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:55 am 

Thank you for your reply. We are located in New Hampshire.

We have talked to some professionals and they say the crushed concrete for our application is good because it will compact and not move as much as gravel, but the topsoil should be at least a foot to 18 inches. We have differing opinions on the top soil however. Some say the rich mix of compost and loam will not compact enough and when we use our Walker lawnmower (riding lawnmower with a 360 degree turn radius) it could tear up the soil. Some recommend just using screened loam with no compost.

I know it's difficult to give recommendations without seeing our application. We have a backyard that slopes and a septic system that is built on top of the existing sloping terrain. We are filling in the topography to make is more of a gentle slope to the woods in the back of our house. The area is approx 500' long and 200' wide. The depth in the back of the property will need to rise 3-4' to be close to the grade of the woods and on top of that we will be putting the 18" of compost/loam blend.

Thank you for your reply. We will use your recommendation and use the compost/loam mix.