Page 1 of 1

Author:  lexaggra99 [ Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:08 am ]
Post subject:  POISON IVY

I live in Columbia, SC and just bought some property. Seems the place is covered with Poison Ivy! Tried Round-Up; tried Brush-B-Gon; tried all the normal week control sprays to no avail. I know it has to be dug up, but we need to get the "green" leaves out of there! I read numerous times about testimonials of 20% vinegar killing poison ivy. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this? I just ordered a bottle - can't buy it locally anywhere in Columbia, SC. Will have by Friday and plan to test it this weekend. Sure would like to know if anyone has any suggestions! Thanks!

Author:  Gar [ Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have never tried 20% vinegar since it is hard to find. Please let us know how it works. The best I have been able to find is 10%.

Author:  user_48634 [ Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Goats are probably the best alternative. Can you borrow some?

20% vinegar is reported to knock the leaves off in anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours depending on how hot/sunny it is. The hotter the better. Mix a little orange oil in to really kick in the dessication effect.

Author:  lexaggra99 [ Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:29 am ]
Post subject: 

Does anyone know where I can find orange oil? I was in Lowes and Home Depot yesterday and they just looked at me like I was crazy! I have ordered the 20% vinegar and plan to spray this weekend. Will let everyone know what happens. We aren't getting too far as most of us have spent our weekends at the emergency room getting steriod shots for the poison ivy! Thanks for the help!

Author:  cwilson [ Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:10 am ]
Post subject: 

I can sympathize with your poison ivy torment as I am also very allergic to the stuff. Be very careful while spraying the 20% Vinegar it is very strong and will burn you and your eyes especially. It work very fast but is more effective when it is very sunny. Word of advice after the poison ivy is toasted by the vinegar do not think you can touch it. It is th oils on the plant that cause the skin irritation and the dust from the dead plant can make you break out. Wear long sleeves, pants, gloves and a dust mask when you go to dispose of the toasted plants.

Good Luck,

Author:  Mr. Clean [ Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:12 am ]
Post subject: 

Unfortunately, my best method of eliminating poison ivy probably won't work for your situation since you have so many plants. I cut the plant leaving @ 3-6" of plant above the soil. I then spray the remaining stalk with the vinegar/orange oil/soap solution, and then I take a coffee can and place it over the stalk and jam the can into the soil. I leave this arrangement for about a week and then remove the can and whatever part of the plant that remains.

Another tip for those allergic to the plant. When you cut the poison ivy vines, while wearing gloves, grab the vine with your hand in a plastic grocery bag, pull the bag inside out over the vine and discard. Don't forget to clean your trimming tools.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group