It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: dallis grass on acre lot
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:33 pm 

:shock: can some one help me please ??

I have alot of dallisgrass and crabgrass in my yard of 1 acre in Haslet

What can I use to get rid of these grasses but not harm my bermuda grass,dogs and people.

thank you

Tommy :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:39 am 

Hi, If you read through the other forums, you'll find some excellant advice. I've only been working my yard for about a month, but I swear I can already see a change for the better. The best tip I've seen is, if you make the grass and soil healthier, it will choke out the weeds. I started mowing higher (even though I do have some bermuda...I had more weeds than grass!). I use 10% - 20% vinegar for spot weed killing (but be careful you don't get it in your eyes and watch where you spray-it kills anything green!) On the big crabgrass clumps, I go ahead and pull them up after it turns yellow. My yard it so bad this left some bare spots but I'm hoping the grass will fill in. I found Corn Gluton Meal at the garden center and spread that in the front yard...I think it's not quite the right time of year for that but I figured it wouldn't hurt...might help! I paid $15 for 40lbs but I've read about people finding it much cheaper...I'm still looking. And I now water only once a week to 1-2 inches(depending on if we got rain that week or not). I use the tuna can tip to measure how much water. To be honest, I think the mowing higher and watering deep made the biggest change so far. The grass is already softer and looks better. And, of course, go read the lawn care and weed forums. You'll find some posts there for higher acreage lawns. I also love all the recipes I get to 'cook up' for my little trees and shrubs. Good luck and you'll have fun seeing the changes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:36 am 

tommy i've found one of those hand weeder tools to be the only thing that got rid of my dallisgrass. It comes back for me even after spraying the 20 percent vinegar on it. I dig some of it up by the roots after a rain or watering when the ground is soft. The crabgrass I believe will eventually go away when the desirable grass starts choking it out. The CGM i have heard helps too.