It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: purple nut sage
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:37 am 

:cry: I have a terrible weed in one of my beds that has been identified as purple nut sage. I have pulled and pulled it out for several years now, but am ready to throw dynamite on it! :? :x
Any better suggestions than dynamite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:20 pm 

Hi CRK. We can't really help you until we know where you live. And the plant is purple nut sedge. We all know it as nutgrass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:03 am 

You asked where I lived in order to help me with purple nut sage. You also said that you know this as nutgrass :evil: . I thought nutgrass had a finer texture than what this plant has, but I may be wrong. This plant has about 3 long grass like stems that are slightly thick. There is a nut at the bottom of the root, but it is very deep in the soil. I tried tilling and raking the area where it is infested the worse, however, it is coming back more vigorously than ever! :evil: I'm thinking of putting a thick layer of newspaper over the area and around existing plants in the bed then covering it all with a mulch. Will this work? Anyway, I live in Denton, Texas, if that will be of much help.
crk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:59 am 

I don't know your purple plants but that's what I did for the invasive wandering jews. I did pull them first though. It took me several days with awful backache, but I just wanted to eliminate this pest plant. Your plant might have the same type of growing habit that any part of plants start growing roots and just pop up anywhere, so be careful not to have any leftover on the ground. I heard those pest plants even grow in the compost so we just have to really bag them in and throw away - not lawn bag.