It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: AMG 0, Vines 1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:37 am 

:x

I sprayed my blasted vines this weekend w/diluted 20% vinegar & orange oil. A few leaves turned brown. Wugh. (OTOH, the dallis grass and other weeds in the front lawn just withered - yay!).

The spray just *drips* off of these vine leaves.

And, the leaves on the poison ivy are so high up on the tree, I can't reach them even with a ladder. I sprayed the vines on the trunk of the tree as much as I could, but I'm thinking that's really not going to be effective. I'm afraid to chop it off, fearing that that will just spur babies to growth.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Post subject: English Ivy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:55 am 

Would the same concoction work on English Ivy? They have waxy leaves too.

I keep pulling it out, and it keeps coming back. It doesn't seem that I am digging deep enough to get all the roots.

Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:38 pm 

I have no idea, Heather - it didn't work so good on this stuff.

I'm not sure if I mis-read or mis-understood, but I *thought* the orange oil was to help break down the waxy coating on the leaves.

Next time I spray, I'm going to go for the underside too. I don't know if that will work or not, but I'm going to try.

Pulling it up only seems to encourage 3 more to sprout up :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:56 am 

This may help: slash a rake up and down and across them before you spray, to score the leaf and vine surfaces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:08 am 

Billusa99 wrote:
This may help: slash a rake up and down and across them before you spray, to score the leaf and vine surfaces.

I would use caution in raking up and down in poison ivy, I know many people who are so allergic to it that anything that makes it release its "sap" break out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:34 pm 

Next week, I am going to try the English Ivy death rake!

I'll let you know how it goes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:49 pm 

diesel will kill it, just pour some (a little) around the base of the poison ivy!.....its organic because it comes out of the ground!:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:29 am 

Thought I'd post an update, just for the heck of it....

The mystery vine is still being battled, with little success. I have used the vinegar spray with some success, but it seems to just kill the leaves.

Digging the vine is not much better. I've dug down as far as 2 feet - not easy with all the limestone! - and not found the end.

The poison ivy has popped up a few more places :x Again, the vinegar will kill the leaves, but is not apparently working it's way thru the vine, as the ones way up in the tree seem to be doing just fine. I'm leery of chopping it and spurring new growth somewhere else.

Post subject: vine-poison ivy?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:57 pm 

What is the general purpose of such insipid, unsavory, etc, etc, vine!?! I think you should chop it at the base, tho, b/c I think it will kill the tree it's entwining in. We've chopped 'em at the base, & yes they come back but one of these days I'll get it together & spray the vinegar/orangeoil/ soap mix right after chopping. We have trees that have ivy stems 2-3" in diameter stuck on the trunk.
Plano Patty

Post subject: poison ivy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:45 am 

Scott FI-
About the diesel... I think you were kidding-a little-but friends who are not 'organic' have told us the same thing. Pour on a little diesel. Same for unwanted honey locust. It just has to be too bad for everything around it: ground, trees, etc. I wonder what HG would say about just dripping some on the poison ivy leaves? Our part-time 20 ac is 1/2 COVERED & in spots we'll never be able to reach. Areas we mowed b/w trees are coming back up but staying very low & if we can fix the tractor & bush hog we'll get after it again. I'll try to spray the orange oil/vinegar/soap after mowing & see if that does anything.
Plano Patty