It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:10 pm 

With the temp in the 70s today I got out in the garden with the camera. My winter mission this year was NO WINTER! I planted rye so I'd have a lawn, I planted another 500 bulbs and grew a ton of Violas and Pansies in the garage from seed.

Well, it's mid march and the tulips are not blooming yet but here's some pics that I hope will get you ready to dig this weekend if you aren't already! in another 3 weeks or so the pansies and violas will really spread and get more blooms on them but for March 10.... Hey, Beats gray, dead, yuck!

This next one is a patch of dianthus - about a week away from being a red blanket:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:10 am 

I did rye this year too. What type of pansy is the yellow with the red edges? Awsome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 am 

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

I too have much color in my plant areas...thanks to the pansies. They did great in our 13 inches of snow. Your lawn looks great! How long does the rye last? Does rye present any problems for your regular grass? And is your reguar grass Bermuda?
I wish YOU were my neighbor!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:18 am 

Dirtface - actually the Bermuda is already starting to green underneath. As soon as we hit 80's I'll scalp it every 2-3 days and fertilize heavily - takes a while for the rye to go away but I've done it this way before and with good results.

Char- LOL that isn't what some of my neighbors say this time of year, it's more like "Stop already!".

Oh... and the pansies were a mixture from Harris Seeds called "Mammoth" - starting to live up to it.

We'll see in a couple weeks, usually the pansies and Violas hit their stride for me in mid April, this year's crop is wayyyyyy better than last year. I've been using Thrive, I really need to do a side by side with it but it appears to work. I've also been reallly diligent about watering and feeding since I grew these from seeds and fell a bit more parental than I did with the ones I bought last year.

Last edited by CHF3 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:41 am 

Beautiful! Thank You - your pictures made me smile! I still have a lot of gray dead yucky stuff. I think I'm going to rearrange my day and work in the yard today!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm 

What a nice view! Spring has really added wonderful color and freshness in your garden. I have blue bells, daffodils, pansies in my garden. But your garden is not a typical spring time garden, it is extra ordinary.

gardening