It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Invasive trumpet vine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:48 pm 

does anybody have a remedy for invasive trumpet vine? I am talking REALLY invasive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:37 am 

Howard has talked about that a few times and digging it out it the only answer. The have deep runners that branch out and go EVERYWHERE! :x

I am battling with that now myself. It's the worst plant sold today with no warning to the unsuspecting customer.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:18 am 

sandih wrote:
... It's the worst plant sold today with no warning to the unsuspecting customer.

Worst plant? You obviously haven't met one of my nemeises, Virginia Creeper :lol: And, I am blessed to have both...a lot of both. At least with the Trumpet Vine, you are compensated for your troubles with some beautiful flowers :) I've cut and dug and dug and cut and sprayed (vinegar - 20%/orange oil/soap)and cut and cut and sprayed......I'm not gaining on either. I seem to have a better contol on the TV; the VC is actually far more prolific in my landscape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:25 pm 

Ha! :lol: The soil where I live in Johnson County is so bad I have been trying to get both to grow here for years! The Trumpet Vine does much better and does produce some beautiful flowers occasionally. Virgina Creeper just will not grow more than a couple of inches and then disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:50 pm 

For those of you suffering with an invasive vine like trumpet vine - Campsis radicans or Virginia creeper, you might want to try this.

When I moved into this house 16 years ago as a renter, I inherited a trumpet vine - campsis radicans. I have learned that it was the last plant to leaf out in the spring and the first to lose it's leaves in the fall. Here's my horror story and what I've learned about this vine. Over time the vine began to bloom and pop up everywhere in the yard. I would pull the sprouts only to find more year after year. When it pops up in the lawn it can just be mowed. After 13 years we purchased the house and had to cut down 5 trees and regrade the land due to overplanting and flooding. When we dug up the stumps from the trees and regraded we discovered roots of the vine 3' to 4' deep in the soil, up to 30' from the parent plant and as large around as my wrist! We dug and dug and, well you get the point. A year later we still had sprouts coming up from bits of roots that we'd missed.

Here is how I've learned you can get rid of it. Now, up until this point I had NEVER used herbicides or pesticides in the garden. Here's what I did and you can do to get rid of it. Put about an inch of Round Up Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate in a clear plastic container with a tight fitting lid like you might get at the deli with potato salad. Cut a slit in the lid and insert the tips of the vine in the solution when in active growth. Leave the vines in the solution for 48 hours and then cut the vines near the lid. To remove the vine from the lid, be sure and take the container to a safe place so that no solution splashes on anything precious. You can reuse the solution until it is all absorbed. Everytime I find a new sprout I do this same procedure. So far there have been no sprouts from areas that were treated this way.

Now I know I'm going to get a lot of mail on this one, but you could also try horticultural vinegar.

Newt