It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:38 am 

I am in process of growing plants in pots.I find it hard to find info. on organic growing in pots.Last year used seabird guano 1 T. per pot and foliar spray with seaweed/fish 2 times a month.My growing medium is peat moss,sand.pine bark,perlite.I do hardwood cuttings in the winter in 1 gallon pots and go up to 3 gallon pots in following year.Also have Jap. Maples,white oaks,etc.I really could use a outline of fertilizing in pots .
Louann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:29 pm 

See if you can find "Bioform" which is fish and seaweed emulsion. Good for potted plants and plants in the ground. If I had trees in a pot I personally would use native soil mixed with organic compost. It would be much more substantial than what you're using and provide more nutrients to the plants. If you eventually plant these in the ground, I think growing them in native soil would be critical for their adaptation.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:52 am 

For your potted plants, I would change potting soil. I use homemade Garrett Juice to water with. It works great! Usually I use it at 1/2 strength. See the info below for soil & juice recipes.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=94

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:59 am 

Thank-you for the site on Garret Juice.To my growing medium I will be adding native clay soil to mixture on the 2nd. year once hardwood cuttings have gotten their roots.Enough clay to where my pots can still drain and that the fertilizer will be able to cling to the clay.Would it be correct to say that the Garret Juice is all you use for a fertilizer program?
I know that the Jap. Maples do best with seaweed only as they do not like a high nitrogen fertilizer.There will come a time when it will be very labor tense to be able to foliar spray all plants once nursery is in full growing capacity.After being chemically injured from pesticides there are many days that I am very sick so am trying to find also a fertilizer that put in pots for such days.Really do not know from day to day.
Lou Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:50 am 

I don't know if you keep fish, but I have used my recycled aquarium water (from water changes) to water my potted plants since '95. I find this water to provide sufficient fertilization while not over stimulating the plants. I also will water with a splash of apple cider vinegar. It has proven to be an economical and effective plan for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:49 pm 

Basically all I use is the homemade Garrett Juice to fertilize the potted plants. If I'm in a hurry (lazy), I use a seaweed or the Bioform as posted above. This is to water the plants. Don't worry about spraying the plants too often if you don't have the time or ability (unless they seem to need it). Spraying is beneficial if you can do it. Try to get rid of the peat moss & pine bark in your mixture. They are fairly useless. Using coconut coir & finely ground cedar works much better. A teaspoon of worm casting worked into the top soil will take care of your plants fertilizer needs for months if you don't have time to make Garrett Juice or another type of mixture. Search this website & discussion board for lots of ideas. There are many ideas that might be better than mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:28 am 

wow- so if I use I use the bottled Bioform I'm lazy? Thanks!

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:19 pm 

sandih, as quoted below, I said when I'm lazy. I prefer to use additional ingredients if I have the time. No insult intended. :o

Quote:
If I'm in a hurry (lazy), I use a seaweed or the Bioform as posted above

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:27 pm 

Thank-you for your replies. I saw where you make soap,do you sell it?There is a good market for 100% organic soap,at least with no man-made chemicals added ,this includes any chemical scents,etc.. Does anyone know of a organic ,slow-release fertilzer that will last 4 to 6 months? I have been using Seabird Guano (pellet Form) and a foliar spray of Neptunes Harvest of seaweed/fish and Nature Nog.This is expensive. I will look into the worm castings.What ever I use I will need at least 500 pounds at 1-2 T. per pot. So it would be nice to find out about what works and the prices.The seabird Guano am using is 10-10-2.5 if this helps. Also, what have you found in an organic spray that truly repels leaf chewers?
LouAnn