It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: need low growing shrub
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:41 am 

I have an area in front of my house that I want to plant a low maintenance hedge in. I don't want the windows of the house covered by the hedge, and the windows are only about one foot above the ground level where I want the hedge. I've looked at dwarf yaupon holly, but I have read that it wants to grow to be 2 to 3 feet tall. I need a real low growing shrub for my hedge (12 - 18 inches) . Any ideas? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:20 am 

I'm pretty sure that tall + bowoods can fill that need for you. Perhaps you should look also at a tall groundcover than a low shrub? There are some versions of Liriope that get between 12 - 18". Here is a list of other choices I think might work - Vinca major(periwinkle), Ajuga reptans (Bugleweed), Dusty miller, Cottoneaster,.
Good Luck!
Christina

Post subject: Low Growing Shrubs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:30 am 

There is a Nandina (Harbour Dwarf) that would be a good choice. It will get to maybe 2' at best. I think the Dwarf Yaupon would be a good choice too, they are pretty slow growing and take pruning well, so, you could keep them at the level you desire easily, probably only needing to be pruned once or twice a year (I am leaning on the once side though). If you like them, why not give them a shot, I bet you would be pleased. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:24 am 

Good advice folks...thanks. I definitely am leaning towards the dwarf yaupon because it seems real sturdy. One of it's functions will be to act as a rain drip shield for the flower bed in the front. I don't have rain gutters all over, nor do I want them. I really don't like Harbour Dwarf nandina (can't describe why) and the liriope looks to much like the dwarf mondo we were planning for the front of the bed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:49 pm 

If you like Liriope at all, there are variegated varieties available too other than the traditional Big Blue. Which IMO would look good in front of the Dwarf Yaupon Holly and add another layer of erosion control and an interesting texture and foliage to compliment the Dwarf Yaupon Holly.

Have you looked into rain chains? If not, do a query for them in your favorite search engine and see what you think. They may be beneficial for you to help slow the water as it comes off your roof and assist in your erosion control efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:35 pm 

Thanks for liriope tip - I'll check it out. Great idea on the rain chain :D I've never heard of these, but I imagine they would look and sound great in my back yard. In the front I only have one gutter above the entry and a downspout into my bed. I'll figure out what to do about that after my front bed is done. TTFN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:26 am 

These aren't hedges but you might think about Texas Lantana and
Pavonia (rock rose).