It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:10 am 

We just move in here last July and I was starting over with my
garden. The soil is basically a sandy soil with some areas of clay. The soil is like a sandy loam. I have on space 35' X 35' that I tilled last fall and mixed in mulched leaves and dry grass with dry molasses. I planted onions, beets, carrots, potatoes, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, English peas, green beans and nothing did very good if at all. Nearly all of my seeds did not come up, especially lettuce, spinach, carrots, and beets.
>
> I started a new spot the same size and tilled in compost, lava sand
and corn meal. I planted 4 rows of corn and got nothing. Some of the seeds germinated and got about an inch tall then just died. I plant some watermelon seeds and they got the two leaves then died. It is almost like there is salt or some other mineral in the soil that is killing every thing or not letting it germinate. My tomatoes plants and peppers are hardly growing.

I am not watering but using the natural rain fall to water the plants. I have them in raised rows and have mulched around the based of the plants with ceder.

I planted squash plant the the plant is really big but the fruit is not that well developed.
>
> I have never had this problem before and really don't know what to
do. So I what thinking maybe I needed to have the soil test. What do
you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:13 pm 

Several things come to mind. First, you should probably have the soil tested. What kind of compost did you till in? Lots of compost that I have bought in bulk was very poor quality or not composted well enough to put in my garden yet. Lots of sticks and bark still intact. Also, did you add corn meal or corn gluten meal? The latter could prevent germination. Also, when did you plant all these seeds? Many seeds are temperature sensitive and will only germinate with the correct temp and plenty of moisture until they are well-established. Several of the plants you mentioned are those that I don't plant in the same time period. In my garden, onions go in during January. Potatoes in February. Corn in mid to late spring. Beets and mustard family plants in Fall. Not everyone plants seasonally like I do, but I have had better results paying attention to the temp requirements of each plant. Need more info :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:14 am 

Yes I put corn meal and the first spot was for the early season stuff. The onions were planted in late Dec early Jan and the potatoes were planted on the 14 of Feb. The other spot was for the late season vegs. I tried to plant by the guide for the time period for each one. I forgot about the compost it can from Living Earth Technology over in Dallas. I had 45 yards delivered and most went into making flower beds but I but about 5 yards ion the 35' by 35' garden spot and tilled as deep as the tiller would go.

I currently don't have water to the area and rely on the rain.

Last edited by Bill in Arlington on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:32 am 

Hmmm. sounds like you did everything pretty well. Have your soil tested. The thing that seems kind of odd to me is the lack of germination. How often do you water your seed beds before they start sprouting?

Post subject: zapped seeds
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:19 pm 

I'm wondering if seeds sent to me by my brother in law could have been zapped in the mail. They are a kind of Japanese cucumber and are delicious. He grows them in Salt Lake City every year and I loved them so much when we visited that he sent a packet to me in spring. I planted them in March but nothing came up. I replanted the remaining seeds in the packet in late April but still nothing. Has anyone had a similar situation where seed sent through the mail didn't sprout? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:14 pm 

Hi Bill
I live in Rendon, and this is my first year gardening in Texas.
I know this post is really old, but I am hoping you are still around, and am wondering if this was ever resolved.

Our garden is experiencing the exact same thing!
We have raised beds with leaves, some horse manure (three years old) and commercial soil/compost blend like you used. We have added worms and a few other things as we can afford.
Seedlings peek through then do nothing.
Plants we put in just turn red and or yellow.
I had a soil test done and it showed very high phosporous, medium potassium and low nitrogen, which I will ammend with fish emulsion and alfalfa meal.

Do you have any advice?
anyone, anyone?
merri