It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Medina Products
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:30 pm 

I am looking to improve (fertilize) 60 acres of horse pasture near Seguin. Has anyone used Medina products and had good or bad results with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:33 am 

I've used them and had no apparent results.

Do you have horses on the property now? How many horses and how much land? Is any of it crossfenced into smaller pastures? This is leading you to learn about Holistic Resource Management. Many, if not most, of the HRM folks in Texas aren't using any fertilizer at all. They just grow grass, add mineral according to soil tests, and let the livestock fertilize the soil. The results I've seen are incredibly impressive.

Search the Internet for HRM of Texas, Managing Wholes, and Holistic Resource Management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:55 am 

I have been using Medina Soil Activator and Medina Plus on our farm for about 3 years now. Applied with molasses, I have noticed a great improvement not only in the grass and soil, but also the cattle, I do not have horses. Through experimentation, I found the cattle prefer the ground and grass amended with the Medina and molasses over chemical fertilizer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:54 pm 

How about with just molasses alone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:00 pm 

Sorry for the delayed response. I have not used molasses alone, so I cannot give an answer to that question. I would like to comment that I was skeptical at first too. Not seeing results like we did using chemical fertilizers, we thought we were wasting time and money. We experemented in one field for about a year and a half, half commercial and half organic. That was when we went all organic. I guess we can tell stories all day long, but seeing is believing. I encourage people I talk to to try small areas like we did and get the results for themselves. just dont give up after two months and say that its a waste of time and money. It does take a little more time to get your soil to where it is supposed to be, but once you are there, all it takes is a little food to keep everything happy. Its more about getting your land to sustain itself rather than pumping it full of chemicals.