It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:56 pm 

I'm sure this is a common problem, but I'm new to growing roses so here goes. I planted six miniatrue roses this spring from six inch pots. They've grown great and bloomed really well, but about 2 weeks ago the leaves on the bottom started turning yellow with mottled brown spots on them. I haven't seen which comes first, the yellowing or the brown spots. They are in full sun and get adequate water. I've had some very minor insect damage, but that seems relegated to the buds and seems to be under control. Anybody know what caused this and how I can prevent it? Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:58 am 
If you have a bad case of black spot, you'll probably need to spray the plants with the sodium bicarbonate mixture once a week for a few weeks, in addition to having treated the soil around the plants with cornmeal. Once the weather gets warmer and dryer, it will work itself out. With all the wet weather we've been having, its no surprise that black spot is a problem for you right now. Can I ask what types/varieties of roses you're growing? There are many varieties, especially modern tea hybrids, that are very suceptible to the disease. It may sound like a drastic suggestion, but if you've continually had problems with the disease, it may be time to get rid of these roses, and plant varieties that are more tolerant. Antique varieties are much more disesase tolerant and easy to take care of.