It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: snails!@$##%^&
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm 

i have a plague of snails. tried the beer in a can trap and ended up w/ a lot of my decolate (sp)snails drowned in them. been just stomping them as i find them but don't have that much time. are the native snails edible here in texas? any ideas to get rid of them.
couple of yrs ago had a large pop of the predetory snails and not many of the round ones then the predatory dissappered and the efen round ones came back. but this year i have seen more of the decolate snails back.
still need to get rid of them

Post subject: Re: snails!@$##%^&
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 pm 

I use the beer in a shallow bowl (I put out a half dozen bowls with at least with a sip for me if I use a 32 oz can - if you put an inch of beer in each bowl, that's plenty - scroll down this page for my blog entry - it's the second one) several times a year. Howard has been talking about Sluggo, a snail and slug treatment that is organic. He said last year that when the cleared out the garden at the end of the season they found scads of the faded white snail shells on the ground - and he had been testing Sluggo.

I've been using it for a few weeks, and I notice they are attracted to it. I ran out, so I'll be picking up more tomorrow. The can says to sprinkle it in the areas you want to get rid of them every couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 pm 

will it (sluggo)also attract the decolate predatory snails? don't want to get rid of them the beer attracts them also

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 pm 

So what are you asking? The snails that do the most damage in my yard are the decollate snails you describe (I didn't know their name before, but these are the culprits). When I put out beer, I get mostly these and some of the round ones. Sluggo gets all of them, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:19 pm 

the decolate snails are predatory snail that eat the other round snails and other insect pest and eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:04 pm 

They may eat other snails, but they do a lot of damage in my garden. Seedlings are mowed down by the things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 pm 

Can you handle a duck? One duckling will keep your yard bug, slug, and snail free. If it imprints on you as a duckling it will stay even after it learns to fly. If you cannot handle a duck for the rest of its life, then get a wild duck, clip its wings, and by the time it has enough feathers to fly again it will have done its job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 pm 

I love this answer - I'd love to have ducks and chickens for just this purpose, but with dogs and an open area with too many coyotes, it would be too tempting to predators.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:25 pm 

Uhhhh, yeah, no. No ducks or chickens for you.

Back before I became 100% organic I used ammonium sulfate to kill slugs and snails. That stuff is one of those pesky chemical fertilizers, but it wiped out the slugs and snails literally overnight. I believe there is an organically approved chemical salt that does the same thing. Is it iron sulfate???