It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:10 pm 

I have fleas indoors. I'm fighting them with borax sprinkled all over the floors (messy, but effective. You can buy 20 Mule Team Borax laundry booster at the grocery store), vacuuming a lot, washing rugs, and little bowls of water setting around a lamp on the kitchen floor (they are attracted to the light, hop into the water, and drown) and of course I've treated my cats with Advantage. But mystery, I walk outside in my white socks, walk all around in front and back, and get no fleas. I did adopt a cat who was living in the woods (I live in the woods, too), but if he brought them in, where did he get them that I can't find them?

Do fleas have any natural, botanical predators, like ants and termites do (nematodes)? I'd love to have chickens and ducks to eat the ticks -- not sure if they could find the fleas -- but I'm afraid coyotes and raccoons would get them. IF I even have fleas outside!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:57 pm 

I wish there were a natural predator for fleas! To fully rid your house of fleas, not only do you need to use the borax, but also vacuum everything that could possibly hide a flea or an egg and then throw the bag away - far, far away. You will probably have to repeat this cycle several times to totally get rid of fleas. Do you have indoor companion animals who suffer from fleas? If you do, then i suggest a systemic flea repellent like sentinel (for heartworm and fleas) and, if your animal friends are canine, give them brewer's yeast and garlic to help them stay flea-free!
Good luck!

Post subject: FLEAS
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:01 pm 

na

Last edited by khwoz on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:03 pm 

Beneficial nematodes apparently work outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:49 pm 

Live Beneficial Nematodes do wonders for killing and taking care of fleas as well as other nasties but they don't hurt other good bugs like ladybugs... however you'll have to buy them online. I haven't been able to find them anywhere but online. Pay attention to the how to apply directions...can't treat in sunlight.. you'll kill them. Lower the amount of fleas outside and you'll have less chance of reinfecting your home during the next flea season.

As far as the flea issue... you can add mix food grade Diatomaceous earth into your borax routine... it won't hurt pets or kids. It might also lower the rate of spiders and etc in the house. However this said, it's not an instant kill. It's natural. I've added this as a maintenance thing to my home and have thankfully lowered the amount of spiders. I was a bit overrun with them when I first started living here.

oh ... if you have fleas... you'll have to take your cat in for tapeworm. keep an eye on the litterbox (or kitty's butt, they squirm out eventually) fleas and worms usually go hand in hand