It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:25 pm 

I've been putting 1cup of cornmeal per gallon into a 5gal bucket about once a week in order to drench on my roses.
It's working great and if possible, I would love to use it every weekend on all of my roses.
However, it's getting a little expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts on the potency of reusing (i.e. re-soaking) a few times before discarding the meal ?
I would assume it would reduce the effect by 'x' percent, but just curious what others thought of trying to extend the cornmeal...

Also, how about foliar spraying with it instead of drenching to get more coverage ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:15 am 

If I were you, I would take the old grain remains and put them directly on my garden soil as a soil amendment, or just put it in your compost pile.

I would always start a fresh batch of compost tea or any liquid organic tea recipe, with fresh ingredients and fresh non-chlorined water (preferly rain water or aerated water).

Keep in mind that growing the beneficial soil microbes in your soil and on your plants, is always far more important that just being concerned about plant fertilization with any natural fertilizer material source.

It is not a bad idea to add a tblsp of molasses or dry molasses to any liquid fertilzer tea that you make. It will make the aerobic soil microbes and earthworms grow like crazy.

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton