It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:55 pm 

Salutations, fellow Gardeners!

I live in Norman, Oklahoma and have just started my first vegetable/flower garden and compost pile. I am excited about growing my own vegetables but recently read something which disturbed me. Maybe one of you can help.

I was reading a web page which mentioned a community garden in Oklahoma City (http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/ag ... /1110.html)

which mentioned that Chlordane was often used to treat lots where houses used to stand. I live in Norman, Oklahoma and am gardening in the small yard adjacent to my house (we rent) and I was wondering if I should have the soil tested for chemicals before I eat my first vegetables? Would it be better to simply have a container garden, just to be safe?

Sasha Johnson in Norman, Oklahoma

Post subject: toxins in land
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:03 am 

You don't need to test, but if you are not sure use ample humates in garden. This is what the professionals use to detoxify toxic wastes and chemical spills. It is cheap and effective. We are now using it to detoxify people from toxic chemicals and to introduce trace minerals into a society that has no trace minerals in the food they purchase from stores.
Go to www.enviromateinc.com for more info. Their is work being done in AL with humates on cancer research. It stops or slows down the reproduction of cancer cells. It has also been shown to help lower high blood pressure and reduce need for insulin on some people.
Robert D Bard

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:40 pm 

Sasha,
Both you and Robert have made two interesting posts that needs exposure in a wider forum to match the subject matter.

I am going to move it over to Nutrition and Health forum and maybe some of the others can add a bit more.

Could you relate to us the reasoning for treating the property where a house once stood? I've not been exposed to this idea before.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:46 pm 

Well, thanks for your interest. I've been so busy in the garden lately, I haven't been back to check the status here. I think Chlordane was used to treat weeds in newly established lots, as a lawn care. Anyways, for better or for worse, I've just started digging. I think I'll do a soil sample sometime next week.

By the way, if anyone else is from Norman, Oklahoma, I've just discovered a great source of organic products called "Next to Nature". I'ts on Porter, north of Robinson about a mile. I'm so excited! :D

Sasha

Post subject: source for organics
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:07 am 

Sasha,
I'm sure there are members in or near Norman. There is a link or method here that you can use to view 'all' members.

You can make a post on the "Gardener Exchange" if there is info that you want to share with others about your organic find.

Good luck on your garden this season.