It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Howdy from Anna, TX
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:42 pm 

My wife and I moved into our first home after college last year. We found an acre lot in Anna and built more than we ever dreamed we could have. Last year, I gave a poor effort at a buffalograss lawn, as move-in sapped most of our dough. This year, however, is different.

I killed anything green in the lawn, tilled it under, dragged it, ran sprinklers, and dragged it smooth again. I was careful not to use pre-emergent last Fall. Finally, we threw down 150 pounds of buffalo. I swore to my neighbor (who has the prettiest yard/home in the neighborhood) that he will have to bow down to my green thumb in two years when the yard is fully established.

Here's hoping this site helps me keep that promise!

Thanks,
Rob

Post subject: Re: Howdy from Anna, TX
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:36 pm 

Rob,
First congradulation on 1] college 2] A new home and what goes into one 3] and last but not the least, joining the DirtDoctor Ground Crew discussion board.

Does your neighbor have Buffalo also? Apples to Apples ya'know.
For pre-emergent use corn glutien meal from the feed store in town.
If you are putting down sod, make sure to roll it to get the air pockets out and keep it moist. A good dusting of compost/sand mix will go a long way in leveling.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:52 am 
ZIPPER wrote:
Does your neighbor have Buffalo also? Apples to Apples ya'know.
For pre-emergent use corn glutien meal from the feed store in town.

Thanks Zip. My neighbor has Bermuda grass and is somewhat worried that my buffalo will invade his. However, the threads I've read here tell me that won't happen where he waters more. It may happen at the back of his lot, though, as his sprinklers end at the back of his house.

Regarding the pre-emergent, I've also read (other places) that it shouldn't be used with buffalo, especially since I'll be waiting next year for any remaining seedlings to germinate. Supposedly that's yet another perk for this grass, in that no fertilizer or pre-emergents are needed, just occasional hand-pulling.

Thanks again,
maximumrob

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:57 am 

Rob,

Yes, It's tuff to try and teach grass not to cross a property line. Both should do what can be done with some type of barrier like metal edgeing to keep the peace.

I believe bermuda is more invasive than buffalo but I could be wrong.

When I speak of 'pre-emergent' I refer only to organic. ie: corn gluten meal and not the 'weed-n-feed' chemical stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:10 am 

I have had a buffalo lawn for 3 years. It was originally sodded 609 Buffalo. I only watered a couple of times in the summer once it was rooted in, and mowed a couple of times in the spring and once in the fall. The first 2 years I used corn gluten as a pre-emergent and had great luck, just having to pull the occasional weed around the perimeters. But this past spring I didn't get around to spreading corn gluten, and have been battling a host of weeds in the buffalo. It isn't strong competition for weeds, and along my border with my tiff bermuda neighbor, I find since he waters often, the bermuda invades the buffalo. I have had to build a buffer strip of mulched bed that I planted with a row of small crepe myrtles (who love his extra water).