It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:12 am 

I found this forum last year when I was doing a generic search on compost for some research and I find it very interesting but I'm curious, other than the obvious reason of radio exposure why do mostly texans compost? and why am I the only Canadian -I'm feeling lonely. I'm not really serious but I do wonder why there isn't a broader range of geography represented here.

Post subject: canadian
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:44 am 

Gnale-
I've seen posts from 2 other canadians, & there may be more. I think you are seeing mostly TX b/c Howard Garrett is the instigator of the website & the 'leader' of organics in our area. Radio show, on TV, news column, etc. All this info is on the 'home page' & you can listen to his show Sat & Sun AMs over the internet. (then you can make fun of our accents!) I've seen posts from MI, MN, MD, OK to name a few other places & our compost genius is in AL.
A big welcome to you!
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:54 am 

Ruth Kinler, the owner of 4 organic garden centers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, is from Canada. Their website is www.redentas.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:20 pm 

Gnale,
Welcome from Texas! We are fortunate to have the presence of Howard Garrett in our community to promote organic gardening. But you Canadians are setting an example that I wish our communities would adopt. There are many cities in Canada, including Toronto, that have laws restricting the use of many pesticides. My sister and her husband in Port Perry tell me there is a very active group there promoting this healthier way of living.
I hope you continue to touch base with the Discussion Board and share with us Texans the Canadian way.
Ruth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:57 am 
Thank you for the welcomes.

Part of what I enjoy about this forum is the very fact that we live in very different places yet have the same objectives. I puzzel at products and techniques I've never heard of and try to soak up all the good ideas I can. Good stewardship of ourselves and our planet obviously transends borders and I enjoy a different perspective. I wish more people from around the continent would sign up here and give us there 2 cents as well.

some Canadian links. I was encouraged to see the goverment is getting smarter

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/epb/fpd/fsheets/4023-e.html

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/envi ... lawns.html

http://www.canadalawbook.ca/headlines/h ... 8_arc.html

Oh, just so you know Gnalekim is my name spelled backwards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:59 am 

somehow that got posted as a guest. oops

Post subject: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:05 am 

Thanks for the interesting links! & good to know you aren't a "narly lady" named Kim!
Patty
ps-we watch 'Red Green'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:15 pm 

Another transplanted Texan, from the Midwest that loves Red/Green. I try to watch it as much as possible. By my accent, people think I am from Canada. Since I work with and for a Canadian company.

gnalekim, no matter where you are, organics is the same. We are all trying to get the rest of the world to convert from the synthetic chemicals to the environmental friendly organic way. Keep working on neighbors up there in the Great White North.
PS: great to hear from you. If you have time on Saturday and Sunday mornings, you can listen to the Dirt Doctor on the internet, like Patty says, on WBAP.com.