It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Partial foam attic?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:19 pm 

I just moved to a new house and would like to take steps to reduce the heat in the attic. Of course the best time to foam a roof is while under construction. Is it practical to foam those areas one can reach after the house has been built? In addition to increasing insulation for energy conservation, I want to reduce the heat in the attic so stored items aren't damaged.

Suggestions?

Post subject: insulating the attic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:57 pm 

I disagree. More insulation will help the interior of the house. But I do agree about using radiant barrier and as much ventilation of the attic space as possible. I remember when the big push to get away from wood shingles on houses and the houses started having problems cooling. My solution which was usually the cheepest was to ventilate the attic with turbine vents and sophet vents. Dont use spray foam, it is not as good of a thermal barrier as blown in insulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:40 pm 

Ron,
Actually you caught my interest in the solar powered ventilater, I have not seen any of those yet. At the time I was installing turbine vents (15 years ago) solar ventilaters were not offered, the only other option was the 120v power ventilaters most did not last 1 year. I would like to find out more on the solar powered ventilater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:40 pm 

Ron,
Actually you caught my interest in the solar powered ventilater, I have not seen any of those yet. At the time I was installing turbine vents (15 years ago) solar ventilaters were not offered, the only other option was the 120v power ventilaters most did not last 1 year. I would like to find out more on the solar powered ventilater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:17 pm 

Where can I find these fans? I need to ventilate my attic but I don't like elctric fans (not very dependable and use the energy your trying to save)and whirly birds really do not move the air fast enough to make real differnce(my personal opinion). Being an old rafter rat I should know.

I have about 2200 sq. ft. of attic space and they put on black shingles when the house was built.