It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Corn Gluten Meal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:23 am 

Got some mixed feeling about using CGM this year, especially here in the South. The weather has been unusual to say the least. The many days of warm weather have been great for playing golf and gardening chores but the weed seed may already be germinated. Look at the costs. It might be better this year to apply a blended organic fertilizer and add dry molasses and/or a biological product.

Although the company has stopped doing business, there is still quite a bit of the Nature's Creation product around. It is a compost based product that contains mycorrhizal fungi. We have some new research on its use that I will give you as soon as I have permission. Of course, there are other microbe products available as well - and there are new products in the wings.

More later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:47 pm 

Just checking if you still feel CMG might not be as effective this Spring with the warm weather. I've got 20,000 sq ft of lawn so with my application rate, I am looking at about $300 for a CMG application. If it won't get the spring weeds, I'd rather save the $100 or so and go with a cheaper product. Can you tell me where in the McKinney area I might find the Natures Creation product?

Post subject: Re: Corn Gluten Meal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:35 am 

Is it too late to apply Corn Gluten for weed control

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:44 am 
We have been using CMG early spring and late fall and we are located in the Denton County Texas.
My question is we would like to know if we should use it more often to get better results, we still have a lot of weeds in our grass and do you know of something better to use?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:56 pm 
I used CGM for the first time this spring on St. Augustine. It really is looking good, but one area has a lot of oxalis (?), that plant with the little yellow flowers. Is this an annual weed and is there anything I can do at this point other than just keep hand-digging it out? This lawn is the last part of our small yard to go organic.