It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Plant Theft
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:34 pm 

I was wondering if any of you or your neighbors have experienced plant thefts this year. I recently was a victim for the second time (the first time was last year). I am talking about plants that were in the ground, not potted plants. This year they took one beautiful mexican feather grass. Last year they took two lemon lollypops. This seems like a small thing, and neither time did I call the police, but I'm thinking that if very many people are being victimized, maybe it's not so small a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:20 pm 

That is amazing! I have heard of potted plants being taken, but taking time to dig plants out of the ground?!?! I don't know whether I would consider that some kind of twisted compliment :? No ransom notes yet? j/k Hopefully, this won't continue.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:31 pm 

I have heard of this being done by rabbits. Not that they want them for their yards. They eat the plants. It looks as though someone has stolen them the way that they go about their feasting.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:42 pm 

I believe these thieves are human--or maybe I should say at least they appear to be able to use a shovel. The plants are gone, along with their roots, leaving a very neat hole that has been dug to extract them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:54 pm 
Kay,
You know, its sad, but its a bad thing that sometimes happens in the landscaping industry I believe. Unfortunately, you may find your nice plant specimens planted in someone elses yard - they of course think its a plant they paid for. You may want to check with other folks in the neighborhood to find out if there are any other nearby victims. Make sure to call the police the next time if happens (not that it will necessarily end up at the top of their priority list) and pay attention to the landscaping crews that frequent your neighborhood if you can. This tends to be more common with nice specimen plants - topiaries, palms, ornamental grasses, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:26 pm 

It's terrible! I bought my mother two evergreens last Mothers Day-- they sat on her porch for a couple days in the pots before we planted them, then someone just came along and dug them up!! We think we know who it was, but what can a person really do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:55 pm 

Maybe it's time for the Scarecrow http://coolgadget.net/scarecrow.html
...or a low voltage line.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: Scarecrow
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:05 pm 

organic1 wrote:
Maybe it's time for the Scarecrow http://coolgadget.net/scarecrow.html
...or a low voltage line.

Great idea :!:

Can it be set for nights only?

I don't think my postman would leave me any mail or just a nasty note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:43 am 

Yes, you are probably a victim of plant theft. It happens alot - my mother planted some pansies in her front flower bed, the next morning 10 were missing: she counted the holes.

In response to the post about local landscapers doing this: Unfortunately, it happens TO landscapers more than anyone. When I was working as a landscaper we planted a "natural fence" along a very busy road, it was approximately 1/2 mile long. We installed a selection of large, beautiful, healthy (and obviously) desirable plants. The day after we finished the installation we found several plants missing. After taking an inventory, we suspected that someone had gone "shopping" and now had a very beautiful residential landscape. I mean it was like they walked down the road and said "I need 10 burford hollies, 2 crepes, 20 carrissas... Oh, and lets throw in a wax myrtle too". That wasn't the only time it happened, just the most memorable! Some people are too much!

If this becomes a problem you can get an inexpensive camera off the internet. You can connect it to your computer and monitor the area.

Judy