It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:05 pm 

Went today. It was great. we're going back tomorrow. I'm going to guess that there will be some bargains when the show shuts down at 5 pm. And, check the speaker schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:18 pm 

I went also. Good information from all the speakers. I think I missed that house from last year. I thought that was cool. I talked a bit with Tyson Woods. He said they now probably exposed 5000 trees. Do you remember the name of Ron's landscaping business?
I had some of the German nuts. They are too good!

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:50 pm 

Yes, the speaker was Ron Hall aka Lawn Doctor Ron. He owns Ron's Organic Dynamics in Mesquite. They have a website - organicdynamics.com. Did you hear the next speaker - Michael something from New Mexico? I was SOLD!!!
I've been feeling guilty because I know I should be applying compost to my landscape. But the thought of spreading 5 cubic yards makes me feel weak. Michael has this stuff called Terra Pro. It is innoculated humus. One 40 pound bag spread over 1000 square feet is the equivalent of that cubic yard of compost - and it flows through a standard spreader. And, it's a one time deal. You also have to apply what they call protein crumbles. I bought 5 bags of each. It's a bit pricy - just under $100 for the two bag combo. But the results are seriously impressive and the labor factor seals the deal. Ron is the area distributor for this product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:42 pm 

Thank you.
Little did I know, I was at Ron Hall's webpage last week. I think I was linked on this site.

Yes I listened to Mr. Michael Melendrez. In fact I went to his website www.soilsecrets.com

He is somewhat the "dirt doctor" of New Mexico.

Tree Dude

Post subject: Messin with Texas
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:17 pm 

I heard this guy Michael really talking poorly of the products that most of the local stores around here carry. Has anyone tried any of his stuff? I missed his presentation on the stage, but he bent my ear for about 15 minutes at one of the booths. He was saying that virtually nothing on the shelf was "approved" for sale outside of the state of Texas. He said the mfrs. were breaking all kinds of laws/rules on labeling by making claims of what they are supposed to be used for and what the rates of application are, etc. I mean he was talking about corn meal and molasses guys, not just the blended stuff. Saying that there were not any studies to back the claims up. I thought I was hearing an organiphobe!?

I don't know anything about his products, but we all know how well corn meal, molasses and many of the products we have all come to know and love do work - and there are some actual studies out there, too - he claimed there weren't any tests to back up the value of molasses. I was a bit disappointed with his attitude coming into our show from out of state and basically telling folks our local companies didn't know what they were doing and had no right to do it.

Unfortunately, the company putting on the show probably didn't do any kind of research on him or his products - hopefully, he has good stuff, too, and not selling what he insinuated was being sold at the show and in our local stores here in DFW.

Post subject: Re: Messin with Texas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:14 pm 

I thought I was hearing an organiphobe!?

He is not. He just have different views of some other products. He is indeed organic.