It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am 

My name is Rod and I just joined the Ground Crew. I
expect to learn a lot. Question: Has anyone tried adding small amount of apple cider vinegar and a small amount of molasses for example to a gallon of water. My cost would be a fraction of that for Gatorade.
I am working in the heat all day and Gatorade has so much sugar. Would the minerals in vinegar have a similar effect as the chemicals in Gatorade as far as replacing electrolytes?
I am going to try it. I'll post my results. Hope to hear from anyone interested. ///Saturday 6 June 4:16pm. Tastes pretty darn good. Put some molasses with it. On the rocks-you can't beat it. And it is pennies a gallon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27 pm 

If you go to a good running store or a bike shop in your area you'll find better drinks than the Gator,I like one call Cytomax,it's a powder with about 3 different flavors,there's also one called Crank and another good one is from Hammer Nutrition.I would go in to one of these stores and ask the guys who either due Ultra marathons or century rides,these guys usually know the good from the bad. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 am 

Pickle juice is similarly effective for the electrolytes. I use that on century rides.

Really, the sugary drinks aren't all that great at hydrating you. The best thing is water, plenty of it. How much energy you want to add to the drink depends on what you are doing - if it is hard, physical labor then you'll burn the sugar but you'd be better off with something like an energy bar with some protein and a LOT of water.

For times when you are working hard, sweating heavily and don't have time to stop and eat, there is a product you can get at fitness stores called 'Gu'. It is a gel and my favorite one is 'Roctane' as it has aminos and electrolytes in addition to a good carb profile for fast and sustained energy. Again, drink a bunch of water. I start using that about 2 hours into a long bike race - at that point I've already burned all of the glycogen stores in my muscles and liver and have to start replacing it. Normal activity doesn't require that, you have to be stupid enough to look at a 100 mile bike race in August in Texas and think "Yeah, that looks like a blast!".

There are other gels out there, the ones by Powerbar taste like someone drenched in cheap perfume smells (How's that for a descriptor, lol) those are too sugary - immediate jolt followed by a crash for me.

If you have time to fuel up correctly pack fruits like bananas and strawberries, some nuts and a plain old gallon jug of cool water to go to work with - obviously it'd be hard to pack that on my bike but that's what I'd prefer around mile 80. Also - do NOT overeat when it is hot and you are working hard, you will make yourself well and truly sick :-)

Final thought: Once you are out in hot weather and worn out it is too late to really do things right - think ahead and drink plenty of fluids the night before and before you begin the work. The ounce of prevention v. pound of cure cliche is applicable here.
Wayyyyyyyy more than you asked for, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:59 pm 

No apologies please. I'm diggin' all the info. This is so cool. Love to learn! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:15 am 

good old tap water and one of those honey packets(like ketchup packets from fast food resturants) works too.You also might try wearing a CamelBack hydration pack,either on your waist or back. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 am 

Location: California, San Joaquin Valley - home of 105* summers, foggy winters.
My husband has been drinking a apple cider vinegar+honey+water for years now. He loves it.