It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: dying live oak tree
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:16 pm 

We just moved out to the springtown area in March of '08. We live in a country subdivision where all they did was cut roads and put in eletricity boxes. No lots were levelled, and natural drainage areas were left untouched. So basically everthing looks and is very native. Well in my backyard I have a few old live oak trees that over the years have sprouted dozens of younger trees at the outer edges of the drip line. I spent the first 6-8 months clearing out all of the undergrowth (brush and briars) which was mostly waist high. It also had a ton of poison ivy underneath that I used Round up to kill off. The two biggest live oaks had limbs that that ran horizontal and then touched the ground. I was semi-careful to not spray them with the round up but overspray was inevitable. I was told by a guy that does landscaping that it would only hurt trees if they were young, so I really wasn't concerned in the first place. I probably sprayed the roundup in may-june. Roughly in October of last year, the leaves on my biggest live oak started turning brown and shedding all over. Within a few weeks, the whole thing was pretty much bare. I was sick about it and decided it was already dead so I trimmed up all of the smaller horizontal branches well above head high. This involved cutting some branches that were probably over 12'' in diameter (so a lot of chainsaw work I did). But this spring I did notice a few buds that came off of one of the three main braches way on out towards the end. I think slowy but surely I have noticed a few more leaves and then a few more leaves over the last few months. This has me hopeful that it will return but at this rate, it probably has several years left before it is back to 100%. What can I do to help it out??

Also one of these younger trees at the edge of the drip line has done the same thing, is this more indicative of a spreading disease or what? I really didn't think it was the roundup because I didn't notice anything until months after I sprayed it, plus I know I got it on everyone of these trees (the three big ones plus 30 younger 10' trees) and for it to only get one of them seems unlikely to me.

Please help.

Clint

Post subject: Re: dying live oak tree
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:12 am 

Round Up will kill a tree in a heart beat. Poison vapors from Round Up killed my favorite tree growing up. My neighbor was pretty far from my tree when he said, "I was spraying for crab grass." He never even had crab grass, and he killed the largest tree on our block. :cry: I can't believe people still spray herbisides at all.