It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:34 pm 

We planted a few trees last year, following the proper techniques. They are all doing great and we are just wondering how long should we keep the base of the tree (over the original hole) mulched? When is it safe to start growing grass around the base?
Thanks! :)
-nicole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:17 pm 

nicole-
The tree will like it if you keep the mulch. If you plant grass right up to the tree, you (or the landscape crew) will end up trimming it. During this process the lawn mower will be bumping into the trunk and/or the string trimmer will start removing bark at the base of the tree, which has the same effect as girdling the tree. Keep the mulch, if you don't like the look, dress it up with a few moss boulders or a birdbath. Put up a little sign that says, "space available for nesting birds".
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:01 pm 

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of how to maintain the grass.... :?
It's not so much not liking the look as being too lazy to keep the mulched area weeded. Or, to keep enough mulch there to keep the weeds from growing....That's a cute idea of the "space available.." sign, though 8)
Guess I just need to buy some more mulch and drag my lazy self out there to maintain the areas better!!

Thanks for the tips!
-nicole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:45 pm 

nicole-
What do you mean, weeded? Have you not heard of vinegar, orange oil and soap. Mix the three of these (recipe on the Dirt Doctor home page) and keep a spray bottle hidden behind a bush somewhere. As you are out sipping your morning green tea and honey, admiring your landscape, hit any emerging weeds with this mixture. It couldn't be easier.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:33 am 

Something to bear in mind about mulching around a tree- it's fine to have a nice fluffy deep layer in the root zone, but don't let it get too deep right around the trunk. Mulch piled around the trunk covering hte root flare is very nearly as bad as burying the tree too deeply, as it holds too much moisture against the trunk base.

Me, after the trees have been in the ground a few years, I let the mulch fade naturally as the grass grows back in. I mow carefully close to the trunk and just use hand shears to get stray blades- I never let the trimmer near the tree trunk.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.