It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:20 pm 

Our Crepe Myrtles are flowerless :( I hope someone can help. They have been planted for 6 years so they are not real young. They have never bloomed but appear quite healthy and have grown a great deal..... just no flowers. We fertilized and no change. Help. Thanks.

Last edited by Tigersroar on Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:18 pm 

I am only commenting from observation here:

My 9 year old ones (16 of them on my corner parkway) are later than usual this year... just started 2 flower clusters Sat. on 1 tree. They have always been a late blooming variety anyway... rarley before 1st week of June, and always after most of the others in my 'hood.

We have had an exceptionally wet and cool June so far. The heat only hit us hard the past 2 days. Give 'em a chance ...and I foliar fed mine yesterday with Garret juice to give that extra kick.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Post back and let us know in 2 weeks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:21 am 

Mine also are late this year.

The tree with pink blooms is just now starting to bloom out, my dwarfs with white blooms only started a week or so before that. The mini-dwarfs with purple blooms are just now getting buds.

I believe the combined weather conditions this year simply delayed them...and also extended the spring blooms on other plants for me.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:18 pm 

After a month of foliar feeding with compost tea, Garrett Juice, and an application of potassium bicarb for the white powdery mildew, and also the sick tree treatment, my trees are in beautiful condition. Like the other responses, I think the weather had something to do with the late blooming. The only difference, my trees had not bloomed in several years. They look healthier, the leaves are no longer yellowish and red looking. Although I thought this would work, I was not 100% convinced until the first blooms came out! Thanks Dr. Garrett! Now....if I can convince my husband to go 100% organic, I'll have it made!!! He's slow to convert! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:09 am 

Glad to hear the feedback!

What color is your crepe, by the by?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:44 pm 

Yup... mine have been out a week now... it was the lack of heat! So now, can it go away! :lol:

And, not to be picky... just promoting the English language: It's crepe paper, and crape myrtle. 8)

Post subject: Crape Myrtles - in bloom
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:51 pm 

My trees have pink blooms.....very bright! And, uh....thanks for the correction in spelling...I always wondered about the correct spelling.

Post subject: Leaves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:30 pm 

My leaves are red and yellow on one of mine mrytles.. any suggestions.. i've only done organic fertlizer corn gluten meal in the spring with some dry mollasses..

Post subject: Flowerless Crape Myrtles
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:09 pm 

In response to red/yellow leaves.....I did the sick tree treatment, sprayed with compost tea, and also sprayed potassium carbonate because of powdery mildew. After about 2-4 weeks, I noticed a dramatic difference in the color of the leaves. Be sure to water, too. Hope this works for you, it did for me! Good luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:45 pm 

Your plants are probably needing more nourishment than you have provided this year; get a good organic fertilzier and apply it to your property and water it in now. Even though it is hot, the organic fertilizers are buffered not to burn and to help your plants & turf right away. A foliar feed of Bioform, Garrett Juice, Hasta Gro or any of the others available on the market will do wonders for your crape myrtle and all the rest of your plants too. Be sure to spray in the evening though, so you don't take a chance on burning your plants with the chemicals from your local water system. My plants & turf look great and my neighbors are all envious. Why do they look so great? Because they get a folar feed every 2 weeks with Bioform liquid! YOu can get it at most of the organic stores around and most Lowe's in Texas too. Here's a cheap & easy way to get anything to bloom; let the rest of the coffee you didn't drink in the morning cool, mix it half & half with water, and water your plants. I've seen it work a hundred timesm and it's cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:48 am 

Billusa99 wrote:
And, not to be picky... just promoting the English language: It's crepe paper, and crape myrtle. 8)

Well, sorry Billusa99. I'm going to disagree with you here. Both 'crepe' and 'crape' are acceptable. Because Crepe Myrtle is the common name for the plant. Often there are multiple common names with multiple spellings. Only the Latin name has a singular spelling. In this case, Lagerstroemia indica. Typically various spellings of the common name are accepted as long as we all know what plant we mean.

Here's an extreme example of one plant with various common names and various spellings: Senisa, Cenizo, Texas Sage, Texas Ranger, Texas Rain Sage, Texas Silverleaf, Ash-bush, Wild Lilac, Purple Sage, etc. All the same plant, Leucophyllum frutescens.

Not to beat a point into the ground, but I just wanted to stand up for various spellings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:21 am 

Hmmmmmmmmm... :roll:

The common name of this plant is crape myrtle not crepe myrtle. It is called this because the flowers have crinkly petals that resemble the material called crepe (which according to Webster is a "light crinkled fabric woven of any of various fibers") but you're supposed to spell it crape when it's in front of myrtle. Confused? I think somebody was full of crape when they came up with this name!

http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/lager_i.cfm

Disagreement noted.