It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am 

I have two Improved Meyer Lemon trees, potted on my patio. I purchased them last fall, I think in October (2011) or so. At the time, they both looked very healthy and one even had a lemon on it. After potting, I quickly noticed that the one with the lemon was yellowing leaves badly, and dropping them too. I fertilized well, and that seemed to cure some of the yellowing. I also tested the soil and found it to be neutral or even slightly basic, so I added sulfur. This all but cured the yellow leaves, but it continued to drop leaves occasionally.

As the weather warmed, the tree started to bud out and bloom, and is now loaded with blooms. However it has not shown any new vegetative growth. The other lemon tree is doing great, blooming and setting new growth, as are the two limes that I have potted on the same patio.

Can anyone think why just this one tree would bloom but not set any new growth? It keeps dropping leaves, but keeps pushing new blooms. I'm afraid at this rate that come May or so, I'll have a Charlie Brown lemon tree. Should I prune it? I have not pruned any of my citrus trees yet, but I'm sure a few could stand a pruning. Should I somehow amend the soil again? I'm really at a loss here...Please help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 am 

How long has it been in the pot and soil that it's in now? Have you inspected closely for pests? When was the last time you fertilized it and what did you use?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 am 

I'd like to report that my Meyer Lemon finally leafed out! I don't know why it was stuck in that phase of dropping leaves for so long, but about two weeks ago we started noticing it was pushing new growth.
Now a bigger problem, I have what I think is a fungus or some disease on all my citrus (at least lemon and lime). It looks like a snail trail on the leaves, a silvery squiggly line that is on the leaf. It seems to only affect new growth, which is sad since the lemon just finally started growing. I haven't found any description of a fungus that has this trait. But it shows up on the leaf, and then after about two weeks, the leaf is wilted up and dying. I've been just cutting the leaves off hoping to stop the spread, but I don't really know how it spreads.
I bought a general tree fungicide, but I really don't want to blindly treat the tree for fear of causing bigger problems. Can anyone help? What is the natural fungicide, I couldn't find it in the library. Is it diluted vinegar? I'm going to post this as a new topic as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:07 am 

Those are the markings of a leaf miner.

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+mi ... 80&bih=655

Here's what Howard suggests to combat them:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Leafminer_vq989.htm

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan