It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:42 pm 

The trunk on my Autumn Blaze started to crack vertically a few years ago. I researched it at the time and decided to just let it be, but it is starting to get worse. Rather than healing, it seems to be splitting more and exposing more of the wood underneath. I'm not sure what the problem is, so I'm not sure how to fix it. I did hit it with my car a few years ago when my driveway was icy and I couldn't stop. It was a tiny little bump, but I'm sure car vs. young tree typically results in a win for the car. However, the injury side is facing the hot afternoon sun also. The sprinkler is also on that side of the tree, right beside the driveway, but the spray doesn't appear to hit the tree trunk directly. Thoughts/ideas welcome.

Attachments:
File comment: Forgot to mention that some of the leaves are prematurely (?) turning color, too. It hasn't turned color this early before.
Autumn Blaze.JPG
Autumn Blaze.JPG [ 58.82 KiB | Viewed 7443 times ]
Autumn Blaze close 2.JPG
Autumn Blaze close 2.JPG [ 72.25 KiB | Viewed 7443 times ]
Autumn Blaze close.JPG
Autumn Blaze close.JPG [ 72.55 KiB | Viewed 7443 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:59 pm 

Did you plant the tree? What size pot did it come in? A lot of times damage and bug infestations are a sign that the tree is in stress due to being too deep or too wet or dry.

Here is a link to information about correct tree planting; did you plant or do you know if the tree was planted in this manner (the chances are high that it wasn't).

Determine if the tree is too deep in the ground, and you might want to examine the sprinkler situation - is it getting too much or too little water? How is the drainage where you have planted it? Can you post of the point where the tree comes out of the ground, so we can see if there is a root flare exposed?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:43 pm 

It was either a 30 or 40-gallon - I think it was a 40. The root flare was not exposed. I've been working at it (and all my trees, for the last hour or so, although it's definitely too hot to be doing that!!!!) I think the drainage is pretty good where it is, but I can't be sure, because we have so much limestone, that it could be in a basin. I've run into that problem when I've planted trees (much smaller, of course) myself. I will expose the flare and do the sick tree treatment and see how it goes, I guess. Mucho gracias! Oh, and will try to take another pic, too and post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:14 pm 

Don't kill yourself in the heat! And this time of year trees are almost dormant from the heat anyway, so it might not be till a bit cooler weather before you see much improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:02 am 

That's the kind of trunk injury that should be treated with the Tree Trunk Goop right away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 am 

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Tree-Trunk-Goop_vq162.htm

Mix 1/3 of each in water and paint on trunks: diatomaceous earth, soft rock phosphate, compost. Paint or slather onto cuts, borer holes or other injuries on trunks or limbs. Reapply if washed off by rain or irrigation. In the soil, it makes a good organic fertilizer.