It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Exposing tree flares
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 am 

I've been working to expose root flares for some of our trees. I would be happy to contact Moore Tree Care, however there is just no room in the budget so I'm doing what I can myself.
We have only lived here a few years so I don't know how old they but I would really like to save these if I can.
Attachment:
File comment: Not sure what kind of tree this is but I'm pretty sure it's not a fruit tree.
Tree Unknown (5).jpg
Tree Unknown (5).jpg [ 122.74 KiB | Viewed 4977 times ]

I'm not sure if they will all survive and would really appreciate any suggestions or guidance.

Thanks so much!

Robin

Attachments:
File comment: I'm not sure if I even really found root flares and what might need to be pruned away on this Plum.
Plum (2).jpg
Plum (2).jpg [ 229.34 KiB | Viewed 4977 times ]
File comment: Hope it's not too late for this struggling Pear or if I should keep digging.
Pear (2).jpg
Pear (2).jpg [ 124.35 KiB | Viewed 4977 times ]

Post subject: Re: Exposing tree flares
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:30 am 

It looks like a combination of normal roots and adventitious roots on a couple of those trees. That plum is in pretty bad shape, but you can bring it back if the bark doesn't peel off any more.

Now you should use the sick tree treatment and bring these trees into a more vigorous growth. I'd leave the holes the way you have them for the time being (don't fill them with anything, these saucer shapes need to stay this way). Sick Tree Treatment

To identify that top tree for further recommendations, send a photo of the leaves and flowers or fruit or nut if there is any.

On the plum you may trim off those short roots that are sticking out from the bole above the flare. Since fruit trees are often grafted to a root stock, you need to be sure you're below the graft and exposing the flare of the root. To understand what you're looking for, this page talks about grafts.

Attachment:
File comment: This image is from the page: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/hort/info/fruit/graft/graft.htm . The point where the graft occured is several inches above the flare of the original stock. The graft and the flare need to be exposed.
side[1].gif
side[1].gif [ 8.72 KiB | Viewed 4970 times ]

Post subject: Re: Exposing tree flares
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:35 am 

Thank you for replying so quickly! I'll leave the holes as they are and use the sick tree treatment. I'm a little unsure of which roots on the plum are ok to trim off since there are so many but will give it a try and hope for the best.
Here is another view of the plum roots and also a couple more pictures of the unknown tree and it's leaves. It has never had flowers or fruit.

Thanks!

Robin
Attachment:
Plum.jpg
Plum.jpg [ 209.47 KiB | Viewed 4959 times ]

Attachment:
Unknown tree.jpg
Unknown tree.jpg [ 136.76 KiB | Viewed 4959 times ]

Attachment:
Tree Unknown (1).jpg
Tree Unknown (1).jpg [ 128.82 KiB | Viewed 4959 times ]