It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:49 am 

We have several Shumard red oaks and three of them are showing mushroom growth at the root flare. They have all been recently pruned and we have been root feeding them every year by a reputable arborist. They are coming back out next week to check but I am afraid they are in decline. Any thoughts?

Post subject: mushrooms
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:28 pm 

What is the arborist feeding the trees with? Depending on what is in the soil where the tree is planted, the feeding could be causing some rot which the mushrooms (fungus) love. How was the tree planted? Were additives put in the hole that the tree was planted in? Provide all the info. you can & I'm sure someone can help you. Too much moisture at the trunk can also cause problems. Let us know what the arborist says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:00 am 

Mushrooms mean dead wood breaking down. Shumards do not need a lot of water, any chance they're getting too much and that some of the wood is dying from it?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:43 am 

Thanks so much for the replies. I have no idea how the trees were planted as they are 50+ years old. The feeding program is some sort of liquid, organic product they inject into the soil. I don't think it would be an over-watering issue since I rarely water (about 3-4 times a summer, deep and long). Maybe under-watering?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:24 pm 

I'd think trees that old are well established & wouldn't need any kind of fertalizer treatment injected into the root zone...that could be the whole problem. I would apply the sick tree treatment to aerate the root zone to help stop the decay.