It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: live oak vs Katrina
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:28 pm 

Sometime ago, I went to the coastline of Miss. on Hwy 90. I was amazed at the size and beauty of the many live oak trees. Some where up to 120-150 feet wide and 150-500 years old and all have root flares above the ground(and these live oaks have HUGE, magnificent root flares). I have always read that live oaks can withstand hurricanes. Well, it looked like Katrina wanna give that a challenge.
On the news, I was looking all the damage and the trees. I notice the buildings were destroyed, but the live oaks were still standing up, though most were severly damage and looks like they will live on.
I think(that is, I'm just guessing) that the reason they can withstand such winds is that they have huge root flares and enormous system of roots that is actually bigger and wider than the crown. Is that true? I also think maybe it is the way they are built--a very low heavy domed tree instead of a tall upright tree.
Hopefully the ones in La. will survive since the national champ lives there.
Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:48 am 

I'm thinking their EXTREMELY extensive and widespread root systems play into that too.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.