It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:34 am 

I have a pecan tree that over the past couple of years (since I've been around it) has dropped a number of limbs and outer branches. All dropped limbs/branches are dead and are not too large in size (maybe 9" around at most). Breakage is coming from the lowest limbs or lower 1/3 of the tree.

Judging from the spring growth I see that the outer-most branches on the lowest limbs appear to be dead. (They were alive last year.) The tree is about 35' tall. The root flare is not covered. It has not been exposed to any chemicals in at least the last couple of years. Nor has there been any severe changes to the area around the tree that would induce a reaction. There are no other pecan trees close by for comparison sake.

Although I've gleened from reading past posts in this forum that this is not an usual occurrence for pecans I'm concerned the tree is unwell. Should I be? Should I employ the sick tree treatment program? I'd appeciate any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 am 

I have dozens of Pecans of various varieties on my property and all of them "self-prune", and small branches often die back. This is normal for pecans.
If you can post or send a picture we could give you more advice.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:42 pm 

I'm with Tony. My pecan tree has been doing this and it's perfectly okay. The yard has benefitted and so has the tree. So long as they're not falling and breaking things when they hit, the limbs can just take themselves out. I did do the sick tree treatment as a safeguard and for reuperative purposes and the tree is just fine. Cut up the limbs and burn them in your fireplace after they cure for a year.

Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:06 am 

Thanks, I'm probably just slightly paranoid. I'll take some pics over the weekend and post them.