It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:45 pm 

Does anyone has a caddo, bigtooth ,shangtung, chalk maple that you have planted on your property? How is your maple(s)? The only one I have seen a caddo maple is at the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens and the ones that hg pictured. The one at the Botanic is good, looking young tree. My place is rocky.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:38 am 

Don't have any (I can't really fit any more trees on my little plot, or I'd have planted a Shantung or Big Tooth) but I'd like to see/hear about those others may have too.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: shantung maple
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:46 am 

Dude-
We planted a 3 1/2-4' shantung maple on our 20 ac property east of Bohnam late spring '04. It seems to be ok, we have only about 12"-18" of black soil on top of white rock in most areas. This bothers me, I don't know where the roots will go!!
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:51 pm 

I've planted the following in the last year or so:

Bigtooth Maple
Fire Dragon Shantung
Regular Shantung
Paperbark Maple (recent purchase)

I'll keep you posted. So far, so good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:55 pm 

Our shantung maple died last spring. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:42 pm 

We planted a shantung maple in our front yard,3 yrs. ago.Growing like crazy,only issue is the bark is trying to come off,so i'm doing the tree slurry,to see if that will help it heal.Will keep u posted.. The caddo we planted was in non-draining clay and it lost all its leaves,so we transplanted it,will let u know on that one too......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:53 am 

I regularly look at the tree posts and have missed seeing this one for the past 3 years. Funny how your eyes can consistently miss seeing something, I guess seeing the forrest but not this particular tree, huh? Anyhoo, here's my contribution to this discussion:

In Jan of 2005 we planted 3 maples, in various parts of our property, trying to get good morning sun but not the brutal afternoon TX sun. One of the Japanese maples, a Beni Kawa (Coral Bark) died the following summer. Beautiful little tree, but it got a bit too much afternoon sun, I think. Another, a Shantung maple, received morning sun until about noon, and it is now about 9' tall and beautiful! Very nice fall color of brilliant yellow, but it only lasts about 4 or 5 days then the leaves just look withered. Even with the short duration of fall color, it's a beautiful tree. The third, a Caddo maple, is hanging on but not thriving. It has grown only about 1' in the past 3 years. Main problem here is it only gets sun from about 11:00 - 1:00, noon time. Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but I have few places left to plant. So, 3 maples, 3 different results, and I think the key was amount of proper sunshine, as all the other factors (planting, watering, fertilizing) were the same.
Don