It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Well watering/Defoliant
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:13 pm 

Hi Gang--

I've got a couple of questions for those who might be able to help.

First, my sprinkler system in my yard uses well water. I haven't had it tested, but I think that I can describe the water well enough to get some help...It is described locally as "gyppy" or very, very hard. It tends to kill leaves on plants that it might land on and dry, but I have been told that it's suitable for lawns.

What if any long-term effects am I likely to see using this as my primary source of water for my lawn/trees? Is there anything that I should be doing to lessen the effect if any?

The sprinklers don't hit any foliage on any plants and very few leaves of trees, so I'm mostly concerned with damage that would result from what the root systems of my trees might absorb.

I've got a second question...I live in an area that has several cotton fields within about 1/2 mile of my house in two directions. Does anyone know if there is any research out there regarding airborne defoliant used on cotton?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond!

Kevin

Post subject: well
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:23 am 

Have well checked or tested and see what you have. You might be able to improve quality with food grade H2O2 (35%).
I don't know how much your will get from cotton fields but you can bet something will drift on your property. Organics is best way to fight toxic chemicals and don't forget to learn how to detoxify your own bodies from all chemicals that we are exposed to on a daily basis.
robert D Bard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:22 am 

kmartinusa wrote:

I've got a second question...I live in an area that has several cotton fields within about 1/2 mile of my house in two directions. Does anyone know if there is any research out there regarding airborne defoliant used on cotton?

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that arsenates no longer are/can be used for defoliating cotton. You can get an idea from the county extension service about what defoliants commonly are used in your area. If I find a good link to information, I'll add it to this post. You will get next to no idea of the long term health and environmental effect from most of them; they mostly haven't been studied much for that. You probably can expect that the fields will get a good dosing of malathion for boll weevils and probably of other pesticides. If the fields have been in cotton production for a long time, they probably still are gassing off DDT and the soil may still have a fair amount of arsenic residue from the days when arsenic was used extensively. Conventional cotton production is a fairly dirty business. Now, if you live in the high plains, they may not use any defoliants; frost works pretty well on its own.