It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:44 pm 

Is shredded paper ok to put in my flower bed on top of my mulch? I shred the part of bills that you would throw away and was wondering if I could be this on top of my mulch and/or around my trees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:18 pm 

I think you would be better served composting this paper. How would you intend on keeping the paper in place? Following your thought of using recycled paper, several years ago I used a recycled paper mulch. It worked great. Broke down quicker than cedar mulch. In the beds where I used it, the soil was very light the next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:25 am 

Mr. Clean wrote:
I think you would be better served composting this paper. How would you intend on keeping the paper in place? Following your thought of using recycled paper, several years ago I used a recycled paper mulch. It worked great. Broke down quicker than cedar mulch. In the beds where I used it, the soil was very light the next season.

:? Well, ya know I hadn't really thought of that. I guess I should have put down before the mulch. I may try a little of it at a time when the storms, wind and rain have let up and hot weather is here. Maybe by adding a little at a time I can slowly get it into my flower bed.

I'm glad to hear it worked tho. Thanks for replying.

BTW...I don't compost.

Post subject: Compost
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:32 am 

Lou. 8) Everyone should compost. It's real easy. Takes no more than 4' diam. Just build leaves, grass clippings, kitchen waste (egg shells, banana peels, apple cores). Don't use too much meat or fat unless the pile can get to 160º or higher. No problem here in TX. I don't even bother to rotate the pile. Some shredded paper is okay in the pile. Just try to keep a balance and not too much of one thing. A pile can even be on the driveway (if a car can get by. LOL) Good luck. FYI I use shredded paper instead of plain newspaper under stepping stones. Makes a nice pad, and helps even the stone out so it don't wobble. 8)

Post subject: Re: Compost
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:37 pm 

PennsyNut wrote:
Lou. 8) Everyone should compost. It's real easy. Takes no more than 4' diam. Just build leaves, grass clippings, kitchen waste (egg shells, banana peels, apple cores). Don't use too much meat or fat unless the pile can get to 160º or higher. No problem here in TX. I don't even bother to rotate the pile. Some shredded paper is okay in the pile. Just try to keep a balance and not too much of one thing. A pile can even be on the driveway (if a car can get by. LOL) Good luck. FYI I use shredded paper instead of plain newspaper under stepping stones. Makes a nice pad, and helps even the stone out so it don't wobble. 8)

Oh what an excellent idea...the shredded paper under stones...I've got to remember that. Thanks for the idea. :idea: