It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: pet rabbits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:58 pm 

We have pet rabbits. Any suggestions for their care naturally? Right now they get water out of the hose and Purina rabbit chow, alfalfa hay blocks, grass from the yard, organic mixed greens from the kitchen. They are housed in a hutch above the ground, droppings go through wire bottom. Should I add DE to diet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:40 pm 

The best place to learn about pet rabbits is "House Rabbit Society" - The web page is houserabbitsociety.org, I think. What I learned from them when I had 6 bunnies as my pet before is to feed hay, lots of them but make sure it is not alfalfa because it contains too much calcium and they recommend the cheaper "Timothy Hay". Oxbow Hay Company sells high quality hay for bunnies (oxbowhay.com) and they are much cheaper than pets mart, etc. I fed their rabbit food pellet too. It is the best. I highly suggest you visit both House Rabbit Society and Oxbow Hay web sites. HRS even publishes House Rabbit Guidebook. I kept all bunnies inside of the house - some of them loose, I've trained them to use the litter box and they were just wonderful pets. The only bad thing about bunnies are they eat electric codes and nibble wooden furniture. Good luck and take care. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:27 am 

I forgot to mention about other important foods. Believe or not, dandelion has many nutritions that rabbits need and they love to eat them too. Also, any organic grown herbs such as parseley, peppermint, cilantro, etc. along with carrots. Don't feet them calcium high spinach or kyle, no cabbage, potatoes. Dark green lettuce is also good (not iceburg). I only fed rabbit food pellets as just a side dish type not main food. Hay and fresh vegetables are the main food for bunnies.

House Rabbit Society's web site is www.rabbit.org :D