It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:13 pm 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who winces when I look out in the yard and see the large number of flies bothering the dogs. The rain this year seems to have brought them out in swarms. Mosquitoes also. I've sprinkled dried garlic chips and they seem to work for a while, but the rain comes again and washes it away--I can keep this up, the garlic is cheap (and after vomiting it up a couple of times the dogs have stopped eating the chips). But I'm wondering what else works to get rid of these biting pests? Garlic alone isn't enough to completely repel them.

We also have fire ants galore, and I have to treat them with something that the dogs won't get curious about and try to consume. I know I've heard and read some of this regarding pets before, but I couldn't find the specific thread(s) today and I need some reminders. What have people been doing to give their pets some relief? These are outdoor dogs and need to stay out there.

The dogs eat (and love) Muenster dog food. They're both young (about 2 1/2 years old) and healthy, at good weights. The pit bull has a typical thin coat, the blue heeler has a heavy coat and isn't bothered nearly so much. Their area is large, about 1/4 acre, Bermuda grass and lots of shade (pines, vitex, hackberry). They have a kennel (standing on dirt with grass) that stands open most of the time and I try to keep fresh cedar chips in there. I need to get a new supply for this year. That might help in that particular spot, but it isn't practical to scatter the lawn with cedar chips. (I don't think!)

Northwesterner