Hi Produce Guy and welcome!!
Can you please elaborate on your overseeding routine? I have been reading lawn forums since before this one started in 2003 and the overwhelming consensus is that overseeding warm weather grasses in the winter with cool season grasses is not a good idea. But every now and then someone comes along and has success with it. Now I have to probe to learn how you do it...
We know you live in Austin so that's out of the way.
- When do you overseed? Do you have a day or do you look for signals from Nature?
- How many pounds per 1,000 square feet of seed?
- What kind of seed and how do you apply?
- How do you water to establish the seed?
- How do you prepare the St Aug for the overseeding?
- When do you fertilize and with what?
How do you handle the transition from rye to St Aug in the spring?
- When do you start the transition?
- How high do you mow?
- When and how do you water in the spring?
- Do you fertilize in the spring? If yes, when and with what?
- Does your St Aug keep pace with the neighbors with respect to spring growth and color?
Thank you very much for writing. I think the reason I read about the problems with overseeding is that the forums are places to ask about problems. For people like you with successful practices, you don't need to ask! Thanks again. Looking forward to learning something new.