It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:41 pm 

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 1
Bought a couple of xanthoceras sorbifolia from a nursery where they had been in 1 gallon pots for a few years, not fertilized and rarely watered.
They were yellowish but still alive.
Thought I would let them acclimate for a week before I gave any fertilizer or repotted.
Started turning brown within a few days of bringing them home.
Repotted one and lightly fertilized the other in the original pot just to see what might help.
Been a little over a week so far since the changes, no improvement.
What's the right thing to do?

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:10 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 9:11 pm
Posts: 104
Location: Keller (North FW),Texas

I would imagine at this point they have gone dormant trying to survive. Give the tree a light shaking back and forth, if the leaves fall off easily, then it is dormant, if not, it may be dead or near that. If they are not falling off, test do a cutting to see if there is any green wood, if so, it may not be too late. If none, take the plant back if possible.

Once you have determined if the plants are dormant or dead, if just dormant, get them in the ground ASAP as that is the best place for them. Once they are planted, run your hose gently near the base to allow the backfill to settle in well. Mulch at 2-4 inches thick but not up to the trunks. Then give them a drink of Liquefied Seaweed diluted at 1/4 cup per gallon and a gallon on each plant. Repeat this every 5-7 days until you see improvement. Hopefully you will see some new buds soon, but, the leaves that have browned probably will not green up.

---Scott in Texas---
"It begins with a garden... and becomes a way of life"
"Conserve today and save tomorrow!"

Last edited by Scott-in-Texas on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:11 pm 

Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 241
Location: Arlington
I have started a new procedure gleaned from this forum for transplanting root bound plants. After I remove the plant from the pot, I loosen up the bound roots. Then I soak the root ball in a water/seaweed mixture until the root ball is well soaked. I add a little less of the liquified seaweed than the directions call for. It may take awhile, I had one little tree that was like concrete. After soaking, then I replant following the basic steps listed by Scott. This pre-soak has been very effective for me. The little tree was a Mexican Buckeye, planted in August. It has grown about 8 inches since then :D

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by eWeblife