It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New to organics
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:02 pm
Posts: 14
Hello. From Denton. I've been listening to Howard Garrett for years. However, I didn't start the organic gardening until recently. Allow me to explain.

I've lived in Denton since 2004. Ever since moving into a brand new home with a brand new lawn, I have fought with this lawn to grow. The grass would look brown, or a dingy green color. (it's Bermuda) I tried all sorts of weed and feeds, chemical sprays, and even one year had Chemlawn come out. But nothing was really kickstarting it.

Then I decided, "Well, I've tried everything else, so why not try the organic approach?" Well, I'm glad I did! I am almost rid of my spider mites using just water and soap, and the Garrett Juice, and my lawn is starting to grow and thicken up now that I have stopped using chemicals. I spent over $150 on a single spider mite treatment that did NOTHING and soap and water spray did wonders!

Also, I finally tried vinegar for killing weeds. I sprayed this past Wednesday evening around 8:30pm. I went to work Thursday and came home yesterday evening and saw brown spots all over my yard. They were the clover that I sprayed the evening before! In less than 24 hours, the weeds were dead. I can't tell you all how much friggin money I've spent in the past on that weed killer you hookup to your hose and spray and that stuff did nothing.

Anyway, I probably sound like a fool. Big Howdy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New to organics
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:47 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:09 pm
Posts: 1835
Location: Fort Worth,TEXAS
Welcome to the site, and to organic gardening!

Sometimes getting started in organic gardening can seem expensive because of the various products needed to treat various pests or to build up the soil, but in the long run it is much more cost effective. Also keep in mind that how you water is very important. Water deeply less frequently and your lawn will establish deeper roots and withstand the hot weather much better.

_________________
Northwesterner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New to organics
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:02 pm
Posts: 14
northwesterner wrote:
Welcome to the site, and to organic gardening!

Sometimes getting started in organic gardening can seem expensive because of the various products needed to treat various pests or to build up the soil, but in the long run it is much more cost effective. Also keep in mind that how you water is very important. Water deeply less frequently and your lawn will establish deeper roots and withstand the hot weather much better.


Not to turn this political, but I always thought those organic types were nothing more than communist liberals.

Then I started doing my research on pesticides and applying common sense. Poison kills plants, what does it do to humans as we all know that washing under the faucet is not going to get rid of everything.

Now, I avoid any non-organic foods. I called into Howard's show a few weeks back just to let him know how totally awesome and right he is about organic solutions that actually work, versus the chemical business that makes things artificial, and in some cases dangerous to humans and pets.


I'm off my soapbox now, and hopefully I won't get banned for my rant. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New to organics
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:10 am
Posts: 1278
Location: Dallas,TEXAS
Welcome to the good life!
motc777 wrote:
northwesterner wrote:
Welcome to the site, and to organic gardening!

Sometimes getting started in organic gardening can seem expensive because of the various products needed to treat various pests or to build up the soil, but in the long run it is much more cost effective. Also keep in mind that how you water is very important. Water deeply less frequently and your lawn will establish deeper roots and withstand the hot weather much better.


Not to turn this political, but I always thought those organic types were nothing more than communist liberals.

Then I started doing my research on pesticides and applying common sense. Poison kills plants, what does it do to humans as we all know that washing under the faucet is not going to get rid of everything.

Now, I avoid any non-organic foods. I called into Howard's show a few weeks back just to let him know how totally awesome and right he is about organic solutions that actually work, versus the chemical business that makes things artificial, and in some cases dangerous to humans and pets.


I'm off my soapbox now, and hopefully I won't get banned for my rant. :mrgreen:


l lol I am likely one of the most conservative (fiscally) people in this forum. You are quite diligent to do your homework and to not (mindlessly) take things that the current conventional say as "gospel."

That said, being conservative should be a good thing. right? ...as in the conservation of the planet in which we live. What say you?

_________________
Nadine Bielling
Moderator
Gardener Exchange Forum

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New to organics
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 pm
Posts: 1
I too am new to organic lawn care...I would really like to make the Garrett juice but have not found a source for liquid humate. must it be ordered online ? Thanks for any information .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New to organics
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:02 pm
Posts: 14
Nadine wrote:
Welcome to the good life!
motc777 wrote:
northwesterner wrote:
Welcome to the site, and to organic gardening!

Sometimes getting started in organic gardening can seem expensive because of the various products needed to treat various pests or to build up the soil, but in the long run it is much more cost effective. Also keep in mind that how you water is very important. Water deeply less frequently and your lawn will establish deeper roots and withstand the hot weather much better.


Not to turn this political, but I always thought those organic types were nothing more than communist liberals.

Then I started doing my research on pesticides and applying common sense. Poison kills plants, what does it do to humans as we all know that washing under the faucet is not going to get rid of everything.

Now, I avoid any non-organic foods. I called into Howard's show a few weeks back just to let him know how totally awesome and right he is about organic solutions that actually work, versus the chemical business that makes things artificial, and in some cases dangerous to humans and pets.


I'm off my soapbox now, and hopefully I won't get banned for my rant. :mrgreen:


l lol I am likely one of the most conservative (fiscally) people in this forum. You are quite diligent to do your homework and to not (mindlessly) take things that the current conventional say as "gospel."

That said, being conservative should be a good thing. right? ...as in the conservation of the planet in which we live. What say you?


Agreed. Conservation is huge.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by eWeblife