It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 17
My husband & I got a dog almost a year ago and I have been wondering about toxic plants/flowers.

I just read a few posts about toxic plats and it turns out we have quite a few- azaelas, jasmine, ivy and who knows what else. I am just wondering what I should do about this? Our dog is mostly an indoor dog, but she is a nature girl and loves to be outside. We try and keep an eye on her and we play with her a lot, but sometimes she just like to lay in the sun and watch the squirrels. I never see her eating plants, although she has chewed on some grass before.

We have her on a very good, real food diet and she's very healthy.

I was just wondering if there were any suggestions or people who have had the same issues.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:17 am
Posts: 315
Location: Dallas,TEXAS
If it were me, I'd rip them out or transplant them to an area the dog doesn't have access to. No point in taking risks. The thing you need to understand about dogs is that their mouths are their hands. They like to explore with not only their noses but by nibbling and eating things.

~Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:10 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:45 pm
Posts: 2884
Location: San Antonio,TEXAS
Most dogs do a pretty good job of not poisoning themselves. Some things they cannot resist, but I've had dogs and all the plants you've mentioned (and worse) and never had any of the dogs interested in them.

_________________
David Hall
Moderator
Dirt Doctor Lawns Forum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:17 am
Posts: 315
Location: Dallas,TEXAS
I suppose it all depends on whether or not you feel it's the owner's responisibilty to provide the safest environment for their pet that they can or whether it should be left up to the dog to do a pretty good job on their own.

For reference purposes, here's a listing of plants that have various toxicity levels for pets from the ASPCA's Poison Control Center.

ASPCA Poison Control Center

Pretty big list isn't it. Toxic doesn't mean deadly necessarily, but things we all might consider harmless can be very damaging to their health. Onions, for example, contain toxins that can destroy a dog's red blood cells. Will eating one kill them? Not likely, but in what quantity is it serious for your individual pet? Is the fact that they won't keel over on the spot justification enough to let them have free access to them in your garden?

~Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by eWeblife